how to downgrade fromTrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.1 to SCALE 21.08-BETA.2 ?

TheRichC

Cadet
After the 'up' grade destroyed our installed docker apps, I'd be interested to know
how we might down/back grade a truenas, now or in the future. I've read about
manually using the previous 'train' on the upgrade page etc, however its like
a recursive rabbit hole trying to follow download links @ truenas that all lead back to current
versions and no mention anywhere of what these trains look like or where they are.
they appear to not be the install iso, so no idea where to find them. It makes the
frustrating even more so.

maximelu

Explorer
If I need to rollback a TrueNas version i go on my boot menu then activate the right version.
1635578950370.png

Second possibility is to pick the right image directly from the repository : https://download.truenas.com/

1635578899139.png

Arwen

MVP
Yes, selecting a prior boot environment and booting off of it, is the simplest way of downgrading.

That is the exact reason Sun Microsystems started using alternate boot environments for patching. If their are problems, simply boot to the prior one that does not have the problem.

Having alternate boot environments, (which are basically an entire usable copy of the OS), is one of the biggest reasons I use ZFS on my home Linux computers, (desktop, media server & 2 x laptops). If something goes wrong in the patching, easy fix, boot to an older BE. (Plus, I like having a snapshot of the OS in case I make a bad config file change. Easy to see what was in the prior BE via ZFS snapshot & clone to fix it.)

TheRichC

Cadet
yep thanks, that gets me back to beta2, though obviously not a entire rollback,
just the kernel/os. i'd like to be able to completely rollback to
remove the new (show stopper) bugs in rc1. i guess that really means a reinstall
of beta2. joy.

Arwen

MVP
@TheRichC If you are booted to "beta2" and want / like that version, then simply delete the newer boot environment "rc1".

You ARE completely rolled back. There is nothing else in a TrueNAS SCALE boot environment except the OS.

To be clear, I've not seen this newer GUI. But their was a place in the old GUI to clean out old boot environments. It should allow removing newer boot environments that are not currently the booted environment.