How to delete a "hidden" dataset.

AVB

Contributor
I wanted to upgrade the space on a 8x3TB XFS2 pool but I didn't want to spend 4 hours each time to replace the discs one at a time. So I thought I could copy the dataset to a larger pool I have and then swap out all the discs and dump it back in. I used cp -iprv /mnt/RMS/Media/ /mnt/RMS-Backup/MediaB/ and watched the data scroll by. However when I looked at the RMS-Backup pool I could see that the freespace was decreasing but there was no MediaB dataset shown. I figured I'd delete the dataset and start again. but it isn't listed anywhere. It doesn't show under zfs list, or Pools in the Gui and if I try to create it I'm told it already exists. I thought that maybe I could unmount/mount it and then be able to delete it but again, if says it doesn't exist.

Somewhere there is a lump of about 100GB of data that I would like to get rid of but can't even see. Any ideas how to find and remove this missing dataset?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If you didn't create a MediaB dataset in RMS-Backup, then it's just a plain folder in the root dataset of that pool.