Is it safe to delete .system folder?

Andybluejay

Dabbler
I'm getting ready to destroy a pool to change my disk configuration, but I've noticed it has a .system folder present and I'd to know if it is safe to remove.

The folder is located at /mnt/tank/.system but my system dataset is set to be on another pool, flash, but I have no similar folder on flash. I found a thread where someone had a similar issue: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/system-dataset-is-in-wrong-location.92163/

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.51.46 AM.png

I'm guessing it is just a remnant of the old system dataset and is safe to delete? tank was the first pool I created so its reasonable that there would have been a system dataset on it at one point.

I'm guessing it is just a remnant of the old system dataset and is safe to delete?
That appears to be the case.

It's a "hit or miss" with TrueNAS moving the System Dataset. Sometimes it's a clean process with no residuals or remnants, and other times you get something like this.

There should be no ".system" folder, only a ".system" dataset with legacy mount points, (such as /var/db/system/ and so on).

I think you should be able to safely destroy the remnant "tank/.system" dataset. To be safe, I wouldn't use the "--force" or "-f" flag.

artlessknave

Wizard
it's still use to hold legacy compatible settings, afaik, but even if you nuke the live one I think it will just create a new one when it needs it?
whatever settings it held will of course be gone but I don't think it will be catastrophic.
of course, always make sure you have a backup....