SOLVED How to configure TrueNAS Scale as home NAS with HDD spin down

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Since Scale is Debian based it might be as simple as using an existing solution designed to work on Debian Linux. Here's one for example that can not only spin down the drives but also control fans based on drive temperatures: https://github.com/desbma/hddfancontrol

Thanks,
Harry
Seems that script uses this to spin down drives... I think we already worked out that doesn't help us. (we need to use hdparm -Y to have the desired effect)
Code:
    def spinDown(self) -> None:
        """Spin down a drive, effectively setting it to DriveState.STANDBY state."""
        self.logger.info(f"Spinning down drive {self}")
        cmd = ("hdparm", "-y", self.device_filepath)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
But i "found" an Alternative if someone is looking for a Solutuon.
Using a language that may not be installed on the host, but indeed uses a completely different method, so maybe would be something to try.

HarryMuscle

Contributor
Seems that script uses this to spin down drives... I think we already worked out that doesn't help us. (we need to use hdparm -Y to have the desired effect)
Code:
    def spinDown(self) -> None:
        """Spin down a drive, effectively setting it to DriveState.STANDBY state."""
        self.logger.info(f"Spinning down drive {self}")
        cmd = ("hdparm", "-y", self.device_filepath)
According to the hdparm man pages using the -Y parameter requires a soft reset to access the drive again. It would be weird to have to use that instead of -y which just causes the drive to spin down.

Thanks,
Harry

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
According to the hdparm man pages using the -Y parameter requires a soft reset to access the drive again. It would be weird to have to use that instead of -y which just causes the drive to spin down.
Putting that together with the other post which seems to be identifying that maybe the parsing of the iostat output is somehow failing to identify idle disks, maybe you're right and the script should be changed back to the -y option together with some attention on the idle identification code.

Maybe I'll feel like doing that tomorrow.

EDIT: OK, so I already found it... FreeBSD uses "extended device statistics" to separate the full list from the idle ones in the iostat output... Debian uses 2 blank lines.

I'll see if I can get something to work with that.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

justjasch

Dabbler
1653840869207.png

with direct naming its not reading out io/stat correct

with /dev/sdx it does, then spindown would work, just the double dev errors its out.

wbr Alex

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
with direct naming its not reading out io/stat correct

with /dev/sdx it does, then spindown would work, just the double dev errors its out.
OK, so it would seem changing the lines for hdparm to just give the name will be enough... I made an edit to the script again.

justjasch

Dabbler
1653843515912.png

1653843541623.png

working.

an nice add would be to read out the current state, before issuing command and only set command if active/idle.

mfg Alex

sretalla