How to build FreeNAS 9.10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Does anyone know how to build FreeNAS 9.10?

I've set up a build system (a VM using FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE) and pulled down the master branch from GitHub at this link:

https://github.com/freenas-build.git

I follow the instructions and - voila! - after several hours I get a successful build of FreeNAS-10-MASTER. But how do I build version 9.10?

I'm a newbie at using GitHub, so that may be the problem. But I thought that 9.10 and 10 were both built from this branch, and there's a FreeNAS 9.10 folder that makes me think I'm hot on the trail:

freenas-github.jpg

Anyway, I'm stumped... and I'm hoping one of the experts here can help me out. Thanks!

D

dlavigne

Right now, MASTER is 9.10. That will change some time in the next few weeks when 9.10 is branched.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Ah, ha! So the FreeNAS-10-MASTER build I ended up with is actually version 9.10?
freenas-10-build.jpg

Thanks! Now I feel like less of an idiot... :smile:

D

dlavigne

It's a weird name, but should be unless the build instructions are wrong. If you install it, does it look like the 9.x UI or the new 10 UI?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm going to fire it up in a VM and find out...

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
It's a weird name, but should be unless the build instructions are wrong. If you install it, does it look like the 9.x UI or the new 10 UI?
It's definitely the new 10 UI... which looks great, by the way!
freenas-10-screen.jpg

thenickdude

Cadet
Same problem here, followed the instructions at https://github.com/freenas/freenas-build "FreeNAS 9.10/10 Build System", and ended up with a build of Freenas 10 with the new GUI, instead of 9.10.

I suspect the solution is to use "make checkout PROFILE=freenas9; make release PROFILE=freenas9". That'll only take another 5 hours to try out! hah

Last edited:

Schuby

Dabbler

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
From the looks of it, 9.10 is here: https://github.com/freenas/freenas

Edit: Or maybe not. That is confusing...
It is a little confusing... This is the repo containing 9.3 - I downloaded it to my FreeBSD 9.x dev VM and built 9.3-STABLE.

@thenickdude is on the right track. I pulled down the code as he suggested (to my FreeBSD 10.2 dev VM) and am building what I hope will be 9.10.

D

dlavigne

Sounds like the README is out of date (or in the wrong branch). Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here. They are getting ready to branch 9.10 so it is a good time to make sure its README is correct for 9.10.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Sounds like the README is out of date (or in the wrong branch). Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here. They are getting ready to branch 9.10 so it is a good time to make sure its README is correct for 9.10.

Okay, bug report submitted:

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/15397

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
For any folks who have been following along... the README file at the repository (https://github.com/freenas/freenas-build) has been updated to include instructions for building 9.10. Also, you will need to install python thus:

Code:
cd /usr/ports/lang/python; make install

The upshot is that you need to specify a profile to build 9.10 -- the default (i.e., when no profile is specified) is to build 10-MASTER.

For details, see the bug report at https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/15397

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Durkatlon

Patron
Does this still work? I tried following these instructions to the letter but end up with a broken js-dispatcher-freenas package. By the way, the instructions also do not talk about the need to install git, which doesn't come installed by default.

The error I get in js-dispatcher-freenas is:

Code:
NODE_PATH=/wrkdirs/usr/ports/freenas/js-freenas.dispatcher/work/stage/usr/local/lib/node_modules browserify --standalone middleware -r dispatcher-client -o /wrkdirs/usr/ports/freenas/js-freenas.dispatcher/work/stage//usr/local/share/js-freenas-dispatcher/middleware.js
Error: Cannot find module 'dispatcher-client' from '/usr/middleware_src/dispatcher-client/javascript'
  at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/browserify/node_modules/browser-resolve/node_modules/resolve/lib/async.js:46:17
  at process (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/browserify/node_modules/browser-resolve/node_modules/resolve/lib/async.js:173:43)
  at ondir (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/browserify/node_modules/browser-resolve/node_modules/resolve/lib/async.js:188:17)
  at load (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/browserify/node_modules/browser-resolve/node_modules/resolve/lib/async.js:69:43)
  at onex (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/browserify/node_modules/browser-resolve/node_modules/resolve/lib/async.js:92:31)
  at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/browserify/node_modules/browser-resolve/node_modules/resolve/lib/async.js:22:47
  at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:95:15)
*** Error code 1

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that points to that URL and includes the error messages you are getting so a dev can test and update the instructions. Post the issue number here.

JustinClift

Patron
@Durkatlon, yeah that's supposed to still be working.

Out of curiosity, are you building 9.10 or 10? The error message there has stuff in it that's specific to 10, so if you're trying to build 9.10 then something's not right. (maybe a bug in a recent change?)

As @dlavigne mentioned, it's a good idea to file a bug at bugs.freenas.org for this, so one of the FreeNAS developers takes a proper look at it. :)

Durkatlon

Patron
Hey Justin, yes I was trying to build 10, not 9.10

I do have a bug for this already, and if you read the comments on it, you can see that Jakub himself even visited my box to see what might be going on. Unfortunately right around that time, the FreeNAS10 nightlies hit some snags for a while, so I don't think he was able to complete the investigations. No more progress has been made on it for a few weeks.

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/19276

I was wondering if anyone else is trying to build 10 using Justin's instructions and hitting the same issue.

JustinClift

Patron
Ahhhhh, cool. For me, I only tried building 10 once ages ago, which worked at the time. I've only done 9.10 builds since... so... the guide isn't really that tested for 10 I guess. :(

Just added the missing step to install git too, thanks for pointing it out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.