Is FreeNAS 9.10+ minor bugfix release going to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrii Stesin

Dabbler
Dear FreeNAS gurus, release notes for FreeNAS 9.10 tell us that, quote, " the base OS version for FreeNAS 9.10 is now FreeBSD 10.3-RC3". That was said at March 26, 2016. Now is late August, 2016, and FreeBSD 10.3 branch probably has plenty of bug fixes and security patches in it, not to mention things like new versions of ports et. al.

Are there any plans to officially release a new minor version from 9.* branch with all these updates and patches incorporated? Or maybe there will be a smooth upgrade of 9.10 to 9.11, based on FreeBSD 10.4 release?

Thanks in advance!
WBR,
Andrii

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Dear FreeNAS gurus, release notes for FreeNAS 9.10 tell us that, quote, " the base OS version for FreeNAS 9.10 is now FreeBSD 10.3-RC3". That was said at March 26, 2016. Now is late August, 2016, and FreeBSD 10.3 branch probably has plenty of bug fixes and security patches in it, not to mention things like new versions of ports et. al.

Stating FreeBSD 10.3-RC3 in the release notes of all STABLE versions in http://download.freenas.org/9.10/ looks like an oversight to me. Judging from the security output mails FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201603252134 was already based on FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE and recent FreeNAS 9.10(.x) versions are based on FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE.

Are there any plans to officially release a new minor version from 9.* branch with all these updates and patches incorporated? Or maybe there will be a smooth upgrade of 9.10 to 9.11, based on FreeBSD 10.4 release?

Will there be a FreeBSD 10.4 release? According to https://www.freebsd.org/releases/ upcoming is 11.0. I would expect that the FreeNAS devs are a bit conservative regarding the move to new FreeBSD releases.

Andrii Stesin

Dabbler
Hi MrToddsFriends, thank you, after careful reading of the docs I already understand that everything is Ok, moreover there are two ways to obtain FreeNAS 9.10 with all the recent 10.3-STABLE developments:
  • you may build FreeNAS 9.10 yourself starting with, for example, 10.3-STABLE as of today, from sources taken from GitHub, this (supposedly) will give you all latest and stablest .ISO,
  • or you may install FreeNAS 9.10 from .ISO and upgrade it with all available updates, with GUI updater.
It seems to me that both ways will give you acceptable results, if not exactly identical. Though, better "done" than "perfect" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.