9.10 is now in Nightlies testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi Folks,

Well, with the long delay of FreeNAS 10 (which is starting to pick up more steam and the beginnings of the new UI are starting to appear, but it's a few months off yet) we have decided to give 9.3 a bit of a refresh.

FreeNAS-9.10-MASTER-201603041830.iso is a good build to try and use, or you can jump to / follow the 9.10-Nightlies train and update to it. Don't do this in production unless you don't care about your system. This is a very early test phase for 9.10 and we'll be rolling a number of nightly builds (well, every night :D) until we're satisfied enough with it to push to 9.10-STABLE, but if you want a preview of it and/or the chance to make sure it's not going to kill your dog and kick your cat before that day comes, this is a good time!

So, what's so new about 9.10 that deserves special testing? Well, all of the UI / Middleware is exactly the same so you won't notice any obvious differences when you boot it (hopefully - that's kind of the goal!).

What's changed is underneath: The FreeBSD bits its based on are no longer stable/9.3, they're now stable/10. Yes, that's right, this build is based on FreeBSD 10.3-BETA3 (at the time of this posting). Don't let the BETA label fool you though, it's been a long and careful merge process over in FreeBSD-land and the 10.3 full release will be coming soon, so you're not going to see a lot of change in the bits between now and then.

What's new in 10.3? Well, support for USB 3.0, bhyve virtualization, Microsoft Hyper-V support, more addressable memory (>512GB configurations are now possible), a lot of updated drivers, etc. It's really hard to enumerate all the changes from FreeBSD 9.3->10 since FreeBSD 9.3 is, well, so old at this point. Anyone wishing to slog through a bit of somewhat painful (but enlightening) reading can look at:

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.0R/relnotes.html
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.1R/relnotes.html
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.2R/relnotes.html

This will give you a pretty good idea of what's coming into 9.10 from the FreeBSD side. We also pulled up the ports tree to 2016Q1 which brought in a new Samba (4.3.4) and quite a few other new bits of 3rd party software that FreeNAS relies on.

Otherwise, everything else is completely the same and hopefully you will hardly even notice except for those things that work better / faster than they used to. :rolleyes:

FAQ:

Q. Why did you call it 9.10 instead of 10 if you updated all of FreeBSD?

A. Because there is already a FreeNAS 10 which changes everything (middleware, GUI, new CLI, new VMs, new Docker Container support, etc) and we couldn't very well have two FreeNAS 10s, now could we, without really confusing the crap out of everyone. Just think of this as the same old FreeNAS 9.3 you've always known and loved, just with an OS refresh under the covers.

We will also leave the 9.3-STABLE update train alone, after perhaps one or two more updates on it, and create a new 9.10-Nightlies update train (and, a bit later, a 9.10-STABLE train) to track the new update. Those who wish to remain with the "old 9.3" can do so, but be aware that it will go into maintenance mode after 9.10 is released, and folks should jump to the new 9.10-STABLE train if they want to get software that is updated more frequent.

Regarding the release numbers, FreeNAS is its own product at this point and while we used to track the underlying OS version for FreeNAS's own version, we realized the folly of this awhile back since FreeNAS != FreeBSD, it's simply based on FreeBSD and a lot of other 3rd party software besides (some of which is GPL'd and pretty far from what FreeBSD would ever accept as "part" of that OS). As FreeNAS grows more features and more code of its own, it's become increasingly apparent that we need to follow our own path with the version numbers, so we are.

Q. So, isn't changing out the entire OS underneath FreeNAS pretty disruptive?

A. Surprisingly not, it really is mostly an implementation detail at this point and it may surprise some folks to know that we actually first tried the "9.3 + FreeBSD 10" experiment over 16 months ago, as we were getting ready to start FreeNAS 10, and it is almost impossible to tell the difference unless you really look hard and know what to look for (underneath the UI).

Q. So, why upgrade the OS bits at all, if it's such a non-issue?

A. Because FreeBSD 9.3 is, as previously mentioned, increasingly old and ever harder to support, and as we put a lot of our resources into creating FreeNAS 10, we're much more familiar with the FreeBSD 10.3 code base (in fact, the OS code and ports are now shared between 9.10 and 10 so it's just easier for us to maintain a single set of reference bits). There are also, as you'll note if you read the FreeBSD release notes cited above, quite a lot of improvements in FreeBSD 10 so we might as well take advantage of them.

Q. OK, so what about bhyve - are you going to expose it in the FreeNAS 9.3 UI so we can use VMs instead of jails?

A. We don't currently have any plans to do that, simply because the 9.3 UI is really hard (and painful) to hack on and we're already putting all of our effort into making that experience nice for FreeNAS 10, where we have entirely new technologies to use for the UI and CLI experience around VMs and containers. You can always use bhyve from the command-line, however, and we'd be interested to hear how people make use of it.

Q. How long before these Nightlies builds get promoted to Stable, where we'll be using this in production?

A. As previously stated, we've actually been doing this 9.3+10 "mash-up" for many months internally, so it's not quite the unknown quantity for us as it is for everyone else, but we'd like to get some good testing done on it before we go to production, so probably at least a few more weeks or so, depending on how testing goes. Please give us your feedback, since it's key to making this decision!

If you are not currently running the 9.10-Nightlies train (see System->Update UI), just switch over in order to test these builds on a nightly basis.

Thanks,

The FreeNAS Development Team

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
"re(4) has been overhauled"? Does that mean it's now unequivocally better than the Qualcomm Atheros crap?

More importantly, does the installer get an equivalent update? XHCI support is a growing concern with Skylake becoming more popular and the installer having no support for it whatsoever.

J

jkh

"re(4) has been overhauled"? Does that mean it's now unequivocally better than the Qualcomm Atheros crap?

More importantly, does the installer get an equivalent update? XHCI support is a growing concern with Skylake becoming more popular and the installer having no support for it whatsoever.
It's hard to say what "better" means in this context. It's been overhauled, but that's it. The installer needs no specific knowledge of XHCI, it's simply part of the kernel, so go to it! :)

Yatti420

Wizard
I like the idea of bumping the underlying BSD (and other components) but leaving the GUI and stuff alone..

Arwen

MVP
After reviewing the links provided, I had a quick question.

Does the update support Intel X550 network cards?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

adrianwi

Guru
Quick question. Is one of the prerequisites for upgrading from 9.3.x to 10 likely to be that you're on at least 9.3.2?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Quick question. Is one of the prerequisites for upgrading from 9.3.x to 10 likely to be that you're on at least 9.3.2?
Unlikely, but the FreeBSD 9.3 to 10.3 transition may introduce some quirks, so I imagine that 9.3.2 will be a good series to upgrade from, much like 9.2.1.9 was for 9.3.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Does the update support Intel X550 network cards?

Most likely it will, as FreeBSD 10 seems to support X550 based cards.

nanopete

Dabbler
Ahh this is like an early christmas present! I'll definitely have a go at it (and bhyve from the command-line) at some point, if it wasn't for my girlfriend returning home today after 1 month abroad I would have been all in today :smile:

J

jkh

A prerequisite, no. Less change in one step, certainly. More of a personal choice than a mandatory thing.

Will the bhyve environment included in 9.3.2 as well as 10 include sysutils/grub2-bhyve or will it be something that can be added by the end user.

Right now the VirtualBox seems to have a lot of problems with certain guest OS' (especially newer versions) that are of a linux nature but the grub2-bhyve utility is necessary to run them under bhyve https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve and you can not run both bhyve and VirtualBox https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2013-August/001438.html

It all sounds great though, guess I need to pull out my old clunker testbox and set it up and poke around. Been trying to get something figured out to run centos or ubuntu server under virtualbox so I can load up
GamePanelX and have a few private game servers running.

J

jkh

Will the bhyve environment included in 9.3.2 as well as 10 include sysutils/grub2-bhyve or will it be something that can be added by the end user.
Thanks for the question - it prompted me to look, and though grub2-bhyve was included in 10, it was omitted from 9.3.2. I have rectified that problem and it will be in tonight's nightly!

Thanks for the question - it prompted me to look, and though grub2-bhyve was included in 10, it was omitted from 9.3.2. I have rectified that problem and it will be in tonight's nightly!
AWESOME, glad to hear it and I caught it. Guess I can wait a few more hours to see how it works.

glipman

Dabbler
This is what I call good news. Reading a large 4GB file over a Gigabit network from my server:
9.3.0 up to 25MB/s
9.3.2 up to 65MB/s. Yes, over 2.5 times as fast!

This is while running a virtual FreeNAS on ESXi 6.0 on a HP MicroServer N40L.
I am aware that this setup is seriously underpowered and unsupported. Therefore I never bothered you guys with my 25MB/s speed, but this speed increase makes me very happy.

As far as I can tell: FreeBSD 10 has built in support for vmxnet3 virtual network cards and that makes all the difference. With FreeBSD 9 the network speed was the bottleneck.

Looking forward to 9.3.2 final :)

freenas4n00b

Explorer
This is great! I have been waiting and waiting for Freenas 10 for bhyve.
Now that it will come a little sooner i am extremely happy!
thanks for the effort guys!

J

jkh

Update: 9.3.2 has been renamed to 9.10 upon further consideration. The 9.3-Nightlies train will eventually go back to "9.3" (the old one) so please switch to the new 9.10-Nightlies train (and eventually 9.10-STABLE) if you want to run the new 9.3+10 bits. I am now running 9.10 in production on a few machines, so far with good success.

Also see http://download.freenas.org/9.10/MASTER/ for the installable ISO images.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

rogerh

Guru
Now, of course you fall prey to an older version appearing newer when compared programmatically (9.3 > 9.10) .... :p

That would be the same program that for the same reason reported 10<9 as true! Is there a completely foolproof way of correctly ordering all varieties of version numbering?

Status
Not open for further replies.