How quiet can a Supermicro SC836 case be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigsah

Cadet
I am considering purchasing a Supermicro SC836 case for a FreeNAS system. My one concern is the noise level. I have seen a number of examples where people have swapped the fans in the SC846 case to reduce the noise level but haven't found any examples for the SC836. If the SQ series power supplies are used how quiet can it be made? What have people tried if anything to make these cases quiet?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I am considering purchasing a Supermicro SC836 case for a FreeNAS system. My one concern is the noise level. I have seen a number of examples where people have swapped the fans in the SC846 case to reduce the noise level but haven't found any examples for the SC836. If the SQ series power supplies are used how quiet can it be made? What have people tried if anything to make these cases quiet?
I think of you use the sq power supplies it will quiet it up pretty good. Swapping out the fans doesn't really work because they still need to cool ask your HDDs. It is not meant to be a quiet case so if that's a requirement I would look for other options.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Scharbag

Guru
Yeah, there is really no way to make SM cases "quiet" as they are enterprise type hardware. I have tried... If it is quiet, it is not going to cool your drives. Make sure your BIOS is set to power savings mode to keep the fans as slow as possible and find a nice, out of the way, place to put your server.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.