Chenbro ES34169 case quiet fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbbell

Dabbler
Hello,

I just bought a Chenbro ES34169 case to build a NAS. It includes two 70 mm fans and they're noisy.

I read that a few people built their NAS with this case. Could someone suggest a quiet fan replacement? Or any other idea about how to get more silence :)

FYI, the motherboard is an Asus E35M1-I (fanless) and the case is loaded with four 3.5" HDD. There's no other fan beside those two 70 mm fans.

tropic

Dabbler
I've used the Sunon KDE1207PHV3 (19 CFM, 21.5 dBA) and Spire SP07015B1H3 (37.9 CFM, 29 dBA) in low-noise applications. The Sunon is pretty much silent, but I'm not sure I'd want 4 HDDs relying on a couple of 19 CFM fans to keep them cool. Would you consider putting a couple of NMB-MAT 2806KL-04W-B69 fans (38 CFM, 39 dBA) and running them at partial duty? They generate noise, but it's more the whooshing of air than the whine you usually get with smaller diameter, higher rpm fans. The E35M1-I has two BIOS-controllable 3-pin fan jacks (I just bought an E35M1-I, but I disabled Q-Fan and don't really know its management qualities).

dumbbell

Dabbler
It seems the fans you mentionned are hard to find in local stores in France. I could find them on an online store I guess but I would prefer to compare them. Instead, I bougth two fans from "Connectland" (don't have the reference with me). They're perfectly silent but I have no experience with HDD cooling (this is my first NAS) and I don't know if those fans can cool them down. I think I'll compare the temperature of the HDDs with the bundled fans and those new ones and report back.

Thank you, tropic, for your advices!

TwinDaddyKev

Dabbler
I have the same case as yours and it's loud enough for me to consider replacing the internal fans. Let me know which one you find/use.

B

Bohs Hansen

maybe a small fan controller would already do the trick - set em down to 70% or so

dumbbell

Dabbler
The NAS is running for more than a week. It's now perfectly silent. Here're the specifications of the fans I bought; sorry TwinDaddyKev, I should have posted them earlier...

Connectland VEN-B-7X7
  • Air flow: 15.3 CFM
  • Noise level: 17.3 dB
  • Fan speed: 1700 RPM

I also added a 60mm fan (Connectland VEN-B-6X6) at the front of the case.

The discs are not loaded. Their temperature is comprised between 36°C et 39°C. I have no idea if it's "cold" enough, though.

Links:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
More important than "cold" enough is to avoid stressing your disks with temperature changes. There's a lot of thinking going on these days about heat effects in data centers and server rooms, and it may be that disks don't need to be in a perfect environment, just a reasonable and, more importantly, stable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.