Case for 9x4 TB NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIGISTX

Guru
I am thinking of getting a Fractal Define R5 case, but it only "supports" 8 HDD's. I have spare 5.25 to 3.5 inch adapters so its not an "issue" space wise, I am just questioning the cooling abilities of the drives, especially the top most drive that will be up in the DVD drive cage area. I will have two front 140mm fans and either 1 or 2 140 exhaust, not sure how I want to deal with exhaust yet. But the question is, any idea how much RPM I will have to be spinning the intakes at to adequately cool the drives, and would I need a 40 mm fan or something up top just to get air to move around up there on the top most drive? I will hopefully be putting this server in a closet, but that being said, I don't want it to be stupid loud. The drives will not be hit hard, its just a personal build, not a heavily workload type situation, but I know the drives will get warm.

Just wondering what others have experienced, as well as opinions, or possibly other case choices (don't want a rack, want a PC case most likely).

Lox

Cadet
R5 is also what came to mind straight away.

Personally i'm using my 'old' Antec P280 (6drive bays) with an Silverstone CFP52B 5.25" adapter. (4 extra bays with fan)

fan rpm will depend on drives themselves. just some airflow over them is enough for most.

Putting this in a closet might overheat things over time, unless the closet itself also has airflow.

LIGISTX

Guru
R5 is also what came to mind straight away.

Personally i'm using my 'old' Antec P280 (6drive bays) with an Silverstone CFP52B 5.25" adapter. (4 extra bays with fan)

fan rpm will depend on drives themselves. just some airflow over them is enough for most.

Putting this in a closet might overheat things over time, unless the closet itself also has airflow.
Lol, my HTPC is an Antec P182, still one of my favorite cases ever.

But yes the closet is VERY large, I have seen college dorm rooms smaller than it (I actually with the closest was half its size and my room that much larger. Anyways, that shouldn't be an issue, and I am glad to hear that just some airflow should be enough. I believe the magic number is 40c to keep them under? As of now I plan on using WD Greens, but I suppose your right, temps are hard to guess at until it's all built.

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

Lox

Cadet
less then 40°C yes. i dont think green's will have a problem with temps as long as there is a fan nearby.

if you are using greens, use wdidle to fix the head parking.

if you are buying new check the prices for the red drives aswell. usually they are quite similar in price but more suited for nas purposes

LIGISTX

Guru
less then 40°C yes. i dont think green's will have a problem with temps as long as there is a fan nearby.

if you are using greens, use wdidle to fix the head parking.

if you are buying new check the prices for the red drives aswell. usually they are quite similar in price but more suited for nas purposes

Yea I will change them to 300, but at least right now the greens are like 40 cheaper per drive. When I buy, if price is closer I would go reds.

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.