SOLVED How often does NUT get updated in TrueNAS?

ChaosBlades

Contributor
I have been waiting for RMCARD205 to get added to TrueNAS for a very long time. It looks like according to this merge on the NUT gitub it should have been added back on Nov 2021 yet the card does not have a driver listing on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2.1

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The last official release was 2.8.0 and the FreeBSD port is current at 2.8.0_6. You might want to
  • install the FreeBSD package in a jail and test if it really works with RMCARD205
  • file an issue in JIRA so iX update the bundled version in TrueNAS if it does
HTH,
Patrick

Edit: I overlooked you are running SCALE. So a VM or a container might be the right approach as @sretalla wrote.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Well I managed to figure out what version is in SCALE.

Code:
dpkg -s nut | grep -i version
Version: 2.7.4-13

According to the NUT gitub that was released on Sep 26, 2021. So the commit definitely isn't in SCALE yet.

I created a Jira issue to update to v2.8

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Issue has been closed with a won't fix. They are using the package provided by Debian and don't want to run a custom variant so NUT won't be updated until Debian updates it. So according to the Debian release schedule that should happen with Debian 12.0 "Bookworm". Looks like that releases around Mid 2023.

Waiting 13+ months to get one package updated a single point release is brutal. Not including the time it will take iXSystems to update TrueNAS SCALE to Debian 12.

Arwen

MVP
@ChaosBlades - Yes, that is one problem with using an appliance software, newer hardware or additional software features take time to be released. (If ever, some are not appropriate with certain appliance software.)

You are not the first one to run across this problem with TrueNAS SCALE. Someone wanted a newer kernel so his network card would work. He insisted that waiting months was not acceptable. And in some ways he was right.

However, just getting his network card supported would not solve the overall problem with Linux. The problem with Linux is that drivers are bound to a specific kernel release, (and generally available for later kernel releases). Not a kernel group of releases. So the problem will apply to any new hardware to be used with Linux. Other OSes allow installing drivers after the fact.

OpenZFS fumbles through Linux's driver problem by limiting it's releases to a specific Linux kernel range. As newer kernels are released, OpenZFS people have to figure out what change, and if needed work around or through the changes. Not ideal, but better than restricting new features to later Linux kernels.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Exactly, iXSystems put all these great features in SCALE but the release cycle is so slow it is like... How is this better than just running a hypervisor or multiple lower power servers? With every release we get closer to the goal post but then the goal post just moves. I'm already waiting 6 months so that containers have automatic updates so that I don't need to spend 30min every week updating them (or run some third party scrip with root access). I am really vibing with the group of people that says a NAS OS should only function as a NAS, nothing more. I feel like one of these days everything will be figured out and things will work like they should but I have been saying that since version 9.2.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Advantage FreeBSD ports system. For software that is ported and maintained, FreeBSD regularly moves faster than any Linux distribution. OTOH FreeBSD still doesn't have a working tensorflow package ...

Arwen

MVP
Some of us disagree with iXsystems' release scheduling & feature set of SCALE. In my opinion, it should have been something like this;
  1. NAS parity with TrueNAS CORE / Enterprise
  2. Limited container support. Meaning containers are functional, as single node
  3. Multiple node containers, (I think the term is swarm)
  4. Last, shared file system
All of which would have been clearly communicated with each release. Plus, delaying any "extra" feature release, if it breaks something from the prior features. Like NAS usage.

In that list, I would expect it to be 2 years from NAS parity with TrueNAS CORE / Enterprise to the #4 shared file system.

But, people were given unrealistic expectations, thus the complaints.

All that said, it does look like it should be a GOOD, SOLID product when done. But, it's just not their. And the driver issue with Linux will continue to annoy people, just like it does with EVERY OTHER Linux distro, including RedHat RHEL, (don't ask them about BTRFS :smile:.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Here is the page to keep an eye on.
excuses:
So in other words, it has problems and even if iXsystems implemented it other things according to this would break.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Exactly, iXSystems put all these great features in SCALE but the release cycle is so slow it is like... How is this better than just running a hypervisor or multiple lower power servers?

Running hypervisors requires lots of screwing around too. For example, I have to validate that the firmware on a card and the drivers being used for a card are in the VMware compatibility matrix. It sounds like you are relying on iXsystems to solve your problem for you by expecting them to release software at a pace that's convenient to solve your problem. However, turn that around for a minute, and think about it in the other direction. Is there no obligation on your part to buy hardware known to be compatible with and well supported by the system? Lots of UPS hardware out there is entirely incompatible with NUT and TrueNAS and never will be. This failure is not entirely the fault of iXsystems, they're already very busy working on actual NAS filesharing features that many people want. Trying to maintain a custom version of NUT for a small subset of users who have some off-brand or super-recent UPS takes away development resources from the more mission critical stuff. iXsystems is focused on building TrueNAS on top of a stable operating system without a lot of drift. I feel like it is incumbent upon users to understand this and to buy known compatible, recommended hardware, rather than expecting iXsystems to come to their rescue with all the latest patches.

awasb

Patron
@ChaosBlades

I would disagree with the assumption, that "centralization" by virtualization is a good thing in general. For infrastructure and security features I love it as much as the devil loves holy water: It is a rather unpredictable single point of failure. So "multiple low power severs" would be my choice any day for DNS, firewalls, monitoring and most automation tasks.

As far as NUT is concerned: Get a tiny soc. Install NUT. (The person, who wrote this, chose Arch. I'd rather use dietpi, though — it's got a very nice backup tool and saves logs in RAM, if you want it to.) Run it. Forget it. It's a 5min job (without reading too much and "if You know, what You are doing"). If You compile it yourself with bleeding edge features, add 15min.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Issue has been closed with a won't fix. They are using the package provided by Debian and don't want to run a custom variant so NUT won't be updated until Debian updates it. So according to the Debian release schedule that should happen with Debian 12.0 "Bookworm". Looks like that releases around Mid 2023.

Waiting 13+ months to get one package updated a single point release is brutal. Not including the time it will take iXSystems to update TrueNAS SCALE to Debian 12.
So the posted question has an answer, it isn't what you wanted to hear but it is the answer. There are work arounds until it does get implemented. Changed to Solved.