TrueNAS UPS Missing NUT Driver

thorzeen

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I have searched this forum regarding this missing driver and found nothing. I have a APC AP9631 Network Management Card for a UPS and from what I can find it requires the NUT driver "(various)AP9630 SNMP monitoring card: snmp-ups privProtocol=AES".

While configuring the UPS in TrueNAS when you click ?help:driver it provides you to a link "Network UPS Tools compatibility list" and on that page it shows this driver. On the radio dropdown list of drivers for TrueNAS that driver is missing.

Is there a way I can add this driver to TrueNAS? I have played around with the drivers provided and can not get it to work. I believe I have a firm grasp of how to configure TrueNAS UPS config page and I have many other devices using this UPS on the network so I am guessing it has to do with this driver missing within TrueNAS. I am open to learning since I am wrong at least once a day in RL. Thanks for reading.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
what version of FreeNAS/TrueNAS ??
provide please some info if you want help
I think in different version of FreeNAS/TrueNAS is a different version of NUT
cheerss

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
IF I read correct the NUT manual/documentation the correct driver is snmp-ups and for your SNMP card situation privProtocol=AES is a parameter must to provide in a field of UPS config GUI
read please and try and report at forum for other user who have that SNMP card to help them
https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/snmp-ups.html
success

thorzeen

Cadet
Hi,
Thanks for the reply! I am using TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE. I will look over those links

thorzeen

Cadet
Thanks for the links. I was confusing the name of the device with the driver. All is working as expected

thorzeen

Cadet
For those searching for this in the future, I am using a APC AP9630. I used driver "APC ups 3 Smart-UPS RT XL AP9618 SNMP monitoring card (snmp-ups)" and under Auxiliary Parameters (ups.conf) I placed "privProtocol=AES" I created a user name and password on the AP9630 For Truenas to use when connecting to my UPS, and entered that under Monitor username and password in TrueNAS UPS configuration.

Next I filled in the info in TrueNAS Services>SNMP and gave the community name I wanted SNMP to use. The last thing I did on the AP9630 is to give SNMP permissions under Configuration>Network>SNMPv1>Access Control I gave it the same community name and IP address as I did in TrueNAS SNMP.

Last thing is to cut power and test it out!! I Hope this helps!! Happy configuring !!

dcol

Dabbler
I also have an AP9630 and have been unable to establish communications following this post info.

On the AP9630
1. Created a new Administrator user
2. Left SNMP access control to default with NMS IP/Host Name set to 0.0.0.0
On TruNAS
1. enabled SNMP service and used private2 as the community name
2. enabled UPS service
3. set snmp-ups$Smart-UPS RT XL as driver
4. set IP as AP9630 address
5. set monitor username and password set in AP9630
6. added "privProtocol=AES" to aux parameters (ups.conf)

here is the error I get
Mar 25 10:14:57 freenas 1 2021-03-25T10:14:57.185661-07:00 freenas.mynas collectd 4821 - - nut plugin: nut_connect: upscli_connect (localhost, 3493) failed: Connection failure: Connection refused

What am I missing?

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
Did you ever get this setup - I am trying the same scenario and according to a UPS report that I get its not working (reports no such host). I can get things working if I use a USB cable - but due to distance between the NAS and the UPS - thats a bit of a problem, and I have a NIC to solve this (in theory)

It would help if the error messages were helpful - but they aren't - at least not to me

Last edited: