How many users can FreeNas accommodate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi FreeNAS users, I am trying to use this FreeNAS for the alternate of a File Server. Can FreeNAS accommodate atleast 8thousand users and it can also accommodate atleast 400 users accessing each time? I am happy to read your suggestions and comments. Thanks

vaibhavyagnik

Dabbler
just made my first freenas box. read about it here: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7580-Help-me-make-my-FreeNAS-faster.
There is also test numbers that i have attached. In my case RaidZ with 3 disk seems to be the balance of redundancy and speed for office productivity use. Since it is going to be used as a file server, office productivity test of intel nas performance tool kit holds the most relevance. however 30 MB/sec of my machine might not be sufficient for you case. You might want to look into more capable hardware like faster disks (at least WD Blacks) More RAM (32 G or higher) and multiple Gigabit NIC in LAGG or a 10G nic if you have the money and infrastructure. Software capability wise, freenas is more than capable. However i will wait for freenas pro's to chip in the discussion

louisk

Patron
That will largely depend on the hardware you choose, and how much data your users are generating/consuming.

I would suggest you do a little work and figure out how much IO your average user will consume and that will allow people to give you more useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.