Best practices upgrade path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ender117

Patron
I recon a 2nd server locally is the way to go if: a) you don't trust anyone else with your data, and/or b) have a users which requires access to data at any time.
If none of those premises are required, off site is the way to go.

At that point you're in for either paying for a service or DIY/ putting the box in a coolio or equivalent. At that point, I believe the cheaper option in the longer run, is to buy the service. Plus, you wouldnt want anything else to do with that service, other than making sure it actually keeps backuping as intended. Additionally, once the first DIY-backupserver has "paid for itself" and has become obsolete, needing new hardware gives a new hefty hardware investment on your part. (I don't take into account that price per TB is getting cheaper by the year, since ideally, to some extent that would also trickle down to paid services as well as customer grade hardware off the shelf. yet the miles may vary.)

Cheers
Good point. Though for a) I think encryption should be enough for all but the most paranoid and for b) I feel "requires access to a very large sum of data (think in TBs) at any time" is a more precise description. Guess I am leaning heavily towards online because I got unlimited storage from Gdrvie and Box for free, as a nice benefit of my employment.:p

Dice

Wizard
I got unlimited storage from Gdrvie and Box for free, as a nice benefit of my employment.
Can't beat that.
Find a neat solution for encryption and you're set.
Im not sold on any encryption solution yet. FreeNAS "native" encryption tends to bring more problems than my desire for online/offsite backup can make up for.
VeraCrypt was the shit a while back. At present I'm not sure how well it is coordinating with FreeNAS and offsite online solutions.
My favourite solution, that I've not yet been able to do more with than trials is HashBackup. It has some neat flexible features.

What encryption solution do you think about using?

Ender117

Patron
Can't beat that.
Find a neat solution for encryption and you're set.
Im not sold on any encryption solution yet. FreeNAS "native" encryption tends to bring more problems than my desire for online/offsite backup can make up for.
VeraCrypt was the crap a while back. At present I'm not sure how well it is coordinating with FreeNAS and offsite online solutions.
My favourite solution, that I've not yet been able to do more with than trials is HashBackup. It has some neat flexible features.

What encryption solution do you think about using?
The current FreeNAS encryption is doing it on disk level and happens before ZFS. native encryption is currently in testing in OpenZFS and (hopefully) we should be seeing them in FN soon. Either way they are not going to help with encrypting backups (expect when you ZFS send a encryption ZFS dataset).

Hashbackup sounds neat but it cant do windows. I am looking at Duplicati which looks promising.

PS: I am feeling that we are going off-topic, might be better start a new post.

pro lamer

Guru
: I am feeling that we are going off-topic, might be better start a new post.
If you do please paste the new thread link here. I'd like to be up to date :)

Sent from my mobile phone

Status
Not open for further replies.