First FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taede

Cadet
I’ve had a qnap TS659 for many years, unfortunately software support is at an end. With the backplane starting to fail I’m now looking at FreeNAS as a way to have a bit more freedom both in hardware and software. I’ve done some research and come up with the following hardware list:

Chassis: Fractal Designe Node 804
Mainboard: Asrock E3C236D4U or Supermicro X11SSH-F-O (both are very similar in features, likely to go with whichever is cheaper unless there is a compelling reason to go with a specific one)
CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1220 V5 or V6 (depending on availability/price)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho 120 (Surplus)
RAM: Kingston 16GB ECC DDR4
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x (surplus)
Disks: 5x6Tb drives (WD red/hitachi, depending on what's available)
Boot device: 16-32Gb nvme ssd
Fans: 5x Nanoxia 120mm Deep Silence PWM + 1x Nanoxia 140mm Deep Silence PWM
Misc: 2x Silverstone SST-CP06-E4 To simplify sata power cabling

The power supply and cpu cooler are overkill, however I have them as spare parts anyway. Initially, the machine will do nothing but run a transmission jail and provide network shares. My media players read the files directly from the shares, no plex needed. Im also planning on using a usb stick to backup my configuration files onto in case of boot device failure. Whilst I’m using sata power splitters, no more than 4 drives will draw power using a single lead from the power supply. The fans will all be hooked up to pwm headers, with the ones for the harddrives set to a slightly higher manual setting.

Upgrade path:
Initially, the 5 disks will be configured in a single raidz2 vdev giving me 18Tib effective. This will be enough for a good while but I expect I’ll need to expand within its lifetime. I have 4 options
1: Replace the 6Tb disks with larger ones one at a time, remain at a single raidz2 vdev.
2: Wipe existing vdev/pool, add 3 more drives of equal or larger size, and create a single raidz3 vdev. Restore from backup
3: Add 5x8Tb or larger disks in a new raidz3 vdev. Add this vdev to the existing pool.
4: Same as above, but instead of existing pool, create a new one, migrate data, then re-initialize original vdev as raidz3. End result is 2 raidz3 vdevs in one pool.
These last 2 options would also require 2 additional sata ports on an add-in card.

What are your comments on my hardware list, and which upgrade path would you favour?

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
With regards to your motherboard choice, I would go with SuperMicro. No questions asked. :)

As for the upgrade route, I would simply replace the drives (it's what I intend on doing maybe next year) as the pool will auto expand to make use of the expanded space.

John Doe

Guru
i would save the money for a Nvme SSD and just go with 2 USB drives or standard SATA. I dont think there is any benefit of having FreeNAS booted up 1 min earlier (best case)
you can find m2 ssd with sata interface.

I think the case will support up to 6 HDDs. consider this for future upgrades.

does the case really support that big and many fans?

consider to have the same size of space for an offline backup. especially if you want to replace the HDDs one day.

consider to have a SSD for jails /VMs.

consider to buy one spare HDD. If you plan to use it for several years, maybe you cant get the same in future. Also it is nice to replace it directly instead of waiting for weeks to get another.

just some hints from my end. must not be the case for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Boot device: 16-32Gb nvme ssd
You would be just as well off, or better, to use a small SSD or hard disk drive... There is no advantage to usingan NVME boot drive in FreeNAS.
I would suggest one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-32GB-2-5-SATA-SSD-SSDSA2SH032G1GN-3Gb-s/302283293441

You asked for comments, I would totally and forever forget that RAID-z3 exists. Then get a SAS HBA to connect your drives to instead of using the on-board SATA controller. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-921...-RAID-SAS-controller-LSI-9240-8I/191999081163
It just needs to be flashed to the latest IT mode firmware.
Then go for 8 drives from the start, in RAID-z2, with all of them connected to the SAS controller. If you buy new drives, they should last a good 5 years, but you might want to have a spare already burned in and ready to use because any drive can fail at any time. Also, save some money and go with the Toshiba 6TB drives. They are the best bang for the buck right now, in the US, but I understand prices may be different over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.