How do you back up your FreeNAS?

monovitae

Explorer

hescominsoon

Patron
Hi Guys,

How do you back up your FreeNAS data? Sync to cloud or backup to external media?

Regards,
Sean
I replicate a remote freenas to my local freenas. Replication is the best way to go as it doesn't take it long to figure out the differential from one system to the next and overall works better than rsynch..IME

Manyakus

Dabbler
If I was to backup onsite, what would be the best practice?
-1 big external Hard Drive plugged only when backup is needed (connected esata)
-Add another pool in FreeNas RaidZ1 used for backup that is always on?

I haven't decided on the main pool configuration yet, but I am looking at a pool size of 12TB.

seanm

Guru
If I was to backup onsite, what would be the best practice?
-1 big external Hard Drive plugged only when backup is needed (connected esata)
-Add another pool in FreeNas RaidZ1 used for backup that is always on?

I haven't decided on the main pool configuration yet, but I am looking at a pool size of 12TB.

In our small business, I've bought a single 14 TB SATA disk that I keep at home in case our office burns or floods. I bring it in weekly and a use a few 'zfs send' commands to sync the newest data to it, then I eject the disk. Worse case we lose a week of data, which isn't too bad for us.

Lebesgue

Dabbler
Two pools using ZFS snapshot and replication (until that caused kernel panic and I now interim rely rely on rsync).
These were previous on different machines but are now within same server.

Some 25% is critical data and backed up to Backblaze using the builtin functionality.
Selected ZVOLs used for ESXi iSCSI are written/dd'ed monthly and sent to Backblaze as well

Manyakus

Dabbler
Backing up your main Dataset to another Dataset in the same FreeNas Server cause Kernel problem?
It is not recommended?

hescominsoon

Patron
Backing up your main Dataset to another Dataset in the same FreeNas Server cause Kernel problem?
It is not recommended?[/QUOTEif it is copying to another place on the same machine that's not a backup...IMO. I have 5 servers that replicate or send full backups via ssh to my freenas which then sends it's data to a series of Backblaze B2 buckets...one bucket per dataset.