How do I get OpenBSD running in a VM on FreeNAS 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy

Patron
I would like to run a OpenBSD VM but it appears the OpenBSD 6.1 installer ISO doesn't have the ability to boot from Bhyve's UEFI or UEFI-CSM which are currently the only options we have for FreeNAS 11.

What I get after starting the VM is:

Boot Failed. CDROM 0
Boot Failed. Harddisk 1
Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM
Boot Failed. EFI Hard Drive

Any suggestions on what I can do to remedy this failed boot state?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
While I cannot answer your question, I am still curious as hell, as to what problem "installing an OpenBSD 6.1 VM in a FreeNAS" is the solution? If you don't mind my asking sir.

scrappy

Patron
While I cannot answer your question, I am still curious as hell, as to what problem "installing an OpenBSD 6.1 VM in a FreeNAS" is the solution? If you don't mind my asking sir.

If you believe I'm looking for a problem to solve you'd be mistaken. Perhaps one day in the future I might run into a problem that OpenBSD solves better than the alternative and then I will have the experience to put it to good use. But for today I just wanna have fun.

sweeze

Dabbler
I use OpenBSD when I do assessments or want to build a vm when I don't have package management infrastructure in place (like at home), but I'm a little biased just because I've used it for decades.

(I worked on the isakmpd and hardware crypto accelerator (hifn) support with jw when we worked together at NETSEC.)

I also tried to install via the web UI recently in FreeNAS 11 and hit a wall, I was going to roll back through using iohyve instead soon but haven't had time yet. I also haven't looked to see how well supported EFI environments are with OpenBSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.