How do I get a "nightly build" update file ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicko

Dabbler
Thanks Mark, appreciate it.
Have had a quick look at your 'how to' and it seems to be soooooo thorough !! Even I stand a chance !! I will definitely give it a go after I have studied your instructions over the weekend, and will let you know how I get on. Wish i'd found that section of the forum before - there looks to be several bits of useful info there.
Have just seen a post that indicates that beta 4 may be issued in the next few days - fingers crossed that one does the trick.

thanks again
-nick

joeschmuck

Old Man
It would be nice if another beta was coming out but there hasn't been that many changes since beta-3 so I'm not holding my breath but if it comes out, I'll check it out. Those instructions I created looked better when the screen captures were viewable with the instructions but the admins placed a significant limit on what could be posted so I had to link all the screen captures. If you get around to building, PM me if you have any questions but it should be straight forward and VMWare Player is a really nice free tool.

nicko

Dabbler
See what you've started now - first noob question - am I downloading the windows versions of putty and filezilla or the linux versions ? (If it tells me later in the instructions then feel free to tell me to RTFM, but I haven't read page 2 yet).

joeschmuck

Old Man
You are downloading versions that run on your OS, likely Windoze. These are not run on the FreeBSD but they are used to access it. Putty allows easy SSH into FreeBSD and Filezilla allows easy FTP access. You can use any other programs you may already have installed that support SSH and FTP, in fact you could use Windoze Explorer to access via FTP but it can be a pain at times. These two programs also don't take up much hard drive space. So what happens in a nut shell is you create the VM in part 1, and you then leave it alone and access it in part 2 via these two programs from Windoze. It will give you the feel of a windoze program which is helpful for people like you and me. Sorry for all the Windoze, I still recall when a few OS's came out before XP that were slow and buggy.

nicko

Dabbler
Hi Mark,
thanks for that, I guessed they were to be used from windows but just wanted to make sure. Re your last comment, I still have fond recollections of 3.1 !!
I need a big favour and hope you don't mind me asking ?
Could you look at ticket #504 and decode it for me ?!! Is that something I can check/do from the command line on the freenas box ?
nick

Scrub that last bit, installed freebsd on vmware and got all that working so that gave me the confidence to putty into the freenas box. I've found the file mentioned in the ticket and using the 'ee' command commented out the lines mentioned, but I assume my write permissions are wrong or the file is read only as when trying to save the file i get the message 'unable to create file "ix-samba"'. Am I doing something wrong or have I just missed out a step ? I have logged on as myself and then changed to su with a password of freenas, which I assume is correct for admin logon ?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Nick,
With respect to ticket 504 you would edit a file in your FreeNAS boot drive (USB Flash Drive for most of us) following the instructions to those files. I have not done this particular change as it doesn't impact the way I use my file sharing. Before you do edit the file create a backup of your configuration file first. If you screw it up you can just reload your flash with the version of FreeNAS you're running and then import the configuration file and try again or leave it alone.

-Mark

nicko

Dabbler
If anyone is still looking at this thread, have just updated to R6918 from http://nightly.freenas.org/r6918/ and UFS permission changes and file/folder access from a win7 client now seem to have been addressed.

Message to zeroryouko and pjehanne, try updating and see if it fixes your setups as well.

Thanks to everybody for your support and to the guys at the sharp end for all your hard work.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.