How do I get a "nightly build" update file ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicko

Dabbler
Hi,

have posted this question in the wrong section (bug reporting) because it started out as a bug report but I think the problem has now been fixed. Apololgies if I have mis-used the help system.

A problem which I am experiencing with windows 7 and freenas 8.01 beta 2 has been addressed in build R6832 and the relevant support ticket is now closed. Could anyone advise me as to how I can get hold of an update file or iso image that contains these new files. I thought that the same system was used as before (freenas 7) where nightly build iso's were posted on sourceforge, but I have not been able to find a similar arrangement for version 8. I don't have the knowledge or the software to be able to build an iso myself.

thanks

zeroryouko

Cadet
Hello nicko. Responding to your thread as mentioned in bug 477. Trying upgrade to nightly build 6789 now...will see how it goes.

nicko

Dabbler
Hi there, is 6789 a typo, that's an older version isn't it ?
Think we must be the only two using UFS on version 8 !! Maybe we should convert to ZFS ?
Noticed the ticket was very quiet las night, I was hoping for a quick magic fix, need the system working again soon.

zeroryouko

Cadet
Hmm, you might be right. I had thought the numbered versions would be later than the BETA 3 version. In any case, no luck from 6789. Trying the BETA 3 nightly now...

nicko

Dabbler
Last time i checked they were up to R6834, (so they're probably higher even than that now), but I've not been able to find out how often that 'nightly' folder is updated, there's no dates on anything and you can't tell after you've installed either I don't think.

Dark_Wizard

Cadet
Last time i checked they were up to R6834, (so they're probably higher even than that now), but I've not been able to find out how often that 'nightly' folder is updated, there's no dates on anything and you can't tell after you've installed either I don't think.

Beta 3? Where is it located?

Thanks....

nicko

Dabbler
In the absence of anyone replying that might be able to answer that one for sure, my thoughts are that they are probably working so hard on ironing out the issues raised so far that there are no nightly releases being created yet.
If you look at http://nightly.freenas.org there is a beta 3 folder and three revision folders. The revision folders are all fairly old now (if you look at the developer pages on sourceforge they are posting updated files well beyond the R6789 revisions), and as there are no dates on the images in the beta3 folder I would guess that they haven't been updated either.
I suspect that it is too early in the version 8 development process for nightly builds to be issued yet. I think patience is needed at the moment - a major program update like this was always bound to have teething problems, and I would imagine that there is a lot of work going on in the background to sort things out. It'll be worth the wait.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Anyone can build their own copy if they want but there will be times where you attempt a build and it fails. Most of the time it's because there is a broken link in the build process and until the devs update it, you can only go so far. If you look under the How To Guide - Installation pages you will find something I created when this forum first opened up. It's a two part guide, one showing you how to create a VM FreeBSD machine and the second part is how to build the FreeNAS code within that VM. It's all very simple. I use to build every day but I've slowed down to whenever I see some significant change that's I want to try out or maybe it was a Samba update.

My only warning is, if you have anything on the FreeNAS that you can't live without, don't be trying any nightly builds, they are for testing and are not a final product. In my situation my FreeNAS 8.x box is a duplicate of my home NAS box so I can kill this FreeNAS box but all my data is safe on the home NAS device. Eventually I will retire the old NAS once I'm 100% comfortable with the FreeNAS 8.x builds.

nicko

Dabbler
Damn, I suppose I had to be the first idiot to try removing the fly from my screen !!

joeschmuck

Old Man
LMAO ! That was the first time someone said that.

nicko

Dabbler
Hi zeroryouko, have you had any joy yet ? Have just installed the 6875 update thats appeared but that doesn't seem to have made any difference on my setup.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi zeroryouko, have you had any joy yet ? Have just installed the 6875 update thats appeared but that doesn't seem to have made any difference on my setup.

Nicko, why are you running such an old build? Okay, it's not that old, just curious why not something from this week. I plan to rebuild tomorrow but first I am looking into adding UPnP since it's still not incorporated, if I can figure it out. I'm no FreeBSD/Linux expert.

nicko

Dabbler
Nicko, why are you running such an old build? Okay, it's not that old, just curious why not something from this week. I plan to rebuild tomorrow but first I am looking into adding UPnP since it's still not incorporated, if I can figure it out. I'm no FreeBSD/Linux expert.

Hi Joeschmuck, cos I'm a born and bred dos/windows fogey !! I would need detailed step by step instructions just to even think about building an installation file from the SVN files, so I have to rely on an iso being posted to install from. I've seen some instructions for building from source but they all still assume a basic knowledge of the operating system and how to use the various tools. If you could do it from windows I'd be laughing :) The problem I've got is that when I first started by installing the beta 8 pre release everything 'just worked', which was perfect for me. It was only when the system started misbehaving that I set out on the upgrade path and got into trouble. With hindsight I probably should have started out with version 7, but version 8 seemed to me to be more 'future proof'. I'm sure the problems will get resolved but at the moment it's frustrating that what was a fully working setup is now giving so much trouble, and because of my lack of knowledge of the inner workings of the system I am totally dependant on help from others. I'm sure I'll get the knowledge in time but I needed the system running yesterday :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
@ Nicko,
I hear you on the DOS/Windows thing, me too. But I did create detailed and simple step by step instructions (Part 1 & Part 2) if you ever feel like creating your own builds. One note of caution... Installing these builds is just as risky as the "nightly" builds which are more risky than the true beta builds. But if you have nothing to lose on your FreeNAS box, or wanted to test in a VM, well here's your chance. What I created even comes with a script to make it easier.

If the links don't survive look under How To Guides and Installation, they are the first two postings. I would have liked "Development" under the How To Guides section but it doesn't exist.

As for the version, I really like version 8.x and it's running extremely well for me. Every hour I run a small backup and validate it and have been doing that for a few days now without a single issue (crossed fingers). The only downside for me is the lack of UPnP. I need to service a media center and UPnP is a basic item for a NAS so I'm going to look into incorporating one into a build I create. I'm sure FreeNAS will incorporate one eventually but it may not be fast enough for me, plus I get to learn something new even if it fails.

If you need any help, as you know just post the question and many of us will do what we can to give you the right answer.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.