BUILD Help with CPU decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Wizard
I've read about this too, it is just outright scary :P

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Not at all, OS limitations (the OS being Memtest86+, in this case).
Thnx for that, but this is weird that one does (report errors) and one doesn't...

While we are at it, for the clarification to the uninitiated, there is a pretty substantial difference these days
between 86 and 86+
Read here
FYI, I no longer use the 86+ version and have used with confidence the newer Passmark version,
and to be clear, it's just a personal preference and could very well be completely unfounded (read head up a$$) :D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've read about this too, it is just outright scary :p
Not really, it's just a little detail you have to pay attention to when testing ECC RAM.

I'd call it a rather encouraging signal that ECC is working as expected, since memtest86+ couldn't tell the difference despite the correction.

Thnx for that, but this is weird that one does (report errors) and one doesn't...

While we are at it, for the clarification to the uninitiated, there is a pretty substantial difference these days
between 86 and 86+
Read here
FYI, I no longer use the 86+ version and have used with confidence the newer Passmark version,
and to be clear, it's just a personal preference and could very well be completely unfounded (read head up a$$) :D
They seem to have moved the very basic ECC features to the free version. I may try it out to see if it actually works - when I have the time.

The extra-sleazy language around the ECC error injection feature also seems to be gone. They previously suggested that they had not tested it at all. Coupled with their policy of only providing paying customers with a year's worth of updates (that covers merely a third of a platform's lifetime, these days), I have stayed away from their product so far.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So I must be doing this wrong, correct me please. I entered the IPMI and opened the Event Log. In the event log is listed 9 entries, four for FANA, four for FAN1, and one for OS Boot to C:. So what is odd to me is those are the only things listed, not that I want to see errors.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
four for FANA, four for FAN1
Fan threshold violations, I presume.

one for OS Boot to C:
That I have no idea what it might be.

*opens IPMI log on X11 board*

Holy crap, what is going on here???? Oh boy, I need sleep. And free time.

Thanks for removing me from my blissful ignorance...

Anyway, the log is supposed to be nearly empty. On my X10SLM+-F, anything in the log was nasty, to varying degrees. On the X11SSM-F, it seems full of nuisance messages. Maybe the damned BIOS update, which is overdue by several months now, will fix this.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Not sure if you recall this but I had several issues with my X11SSM-F with the sticky substance on the motherboard which I did cleanup. Also I had the IPMI become corrupt so I had to reinstall it. And I did update the BIOS as well when that first update came out.

Do you know if there is any way to change the Event Log level so it would record lesser offenses?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you know if there is any way to change the Event Log level so it would record lesser offenses?
Not that I know of, but it seems to be logging all there is to log on my system. A bunch of watchdog errors from February (huh?), the odd fan alert and ominous-sounding SATA/ATAPI/IDE unrecoverable errors.

What bugs me is that I'm fairly certain that I checked the log occasionally back when most of these messages were generated, and I certainly did not see them.

Also I had the IPMI become corrupt so I had to reinstall it.
I think I had to do the same. I just reinstalled everything when I got it. It's been working normally ever since... Minus the BIOS bugs, obviously, which are way overdue for a fix. Worst BIOS I've dealt with...

And I did update the BIOS as well when that first update came out.
Crazy how it's been half a year without any updates, huh?

Not sure if you recall this but I had several issues with my X11SSM-F with the sticky substance on the motherboard which I did cleanup.
The flux residue doesn't bug me too much. It's icky and should've been cleaned at the factory, but it's unlikely to cause problems once the board is installed in the chassis.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The flux residue doesn't bug me too much. It's icky and should've been cleaned at the factory, but it's unlikely to cause problems once the board is installed in the chassis.
I disagree because it will collect dust, something you can't keep out of the case. Dust can cause electrical shorts bad enough to fry electronics. So this can be an issue. But it shouldn't be an issue right off the bat.

What BIOS bugs are you referring to? I have not noticed any myself but then again I'm not use to a server board.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What BIOS bugs are you referring to? I have not noticed any myself but then again I'm not use to a server board.
  • The boot sequence seems erratic. Almost as if it were failing and then brought back by the watchdog resetting the board.
  • The "windows 7 compatibility" option does nothing at all - it's presumably supposed to present USB devices in a format that non-xHCI OSes can use
  • Boot device selection doesn't work as expected
And I may be forgetting some things...

Status
Not open for further replies.