BUILD First build FreeNAS with X11SSM-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsNoGood

Cadet
Hello all, decide to build new NAS:

Uses for this machine:
  • FreeNAS storage for backups of machines at home, storing movies, and other random data that I do not use frequently.
  • Running owncloud (with nginx+mariadb), plex and transmission.
Hardware:
  • Processor: Intel Core i3-6100 (94,87 €)
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F (229 €)
  • 16GB of DDR4-2133 ECC ram from either Crucial/Samsung (whichever is available at the time of purchase) (~73,03 € for one 16GB stick)
  • Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W SSR-450RM (66,30 €)
  • Chassis: I will be using a spare ATX case that I have lying around
  • Boot disk: Silicon Power SSD Slim S60 60GB (25,13 €)
  • Hard Drives: 6x3Tb drives in RaidZ2 (think about Seagate ST3000VN000 88,99 €)
Totall: 488 € (636 € with Xeon E3-1240v5)
Reason to upgrade:
  • Processor doesn't handle with Owncloud;
  • Need more space.
Now I running FreeNAS on an old machine (Athlon II X2 230, 6Gb Ram, 1x1 TB disk).

Main question will i3-6100 be enough for small Owncloud setup (100Gb files, 20 users) or i need use Xeon E3-1240v5 (242,77 €) current Athlon II X2 230 can't?

Last edited:

lmbcdk

Cadet
I cant say for 100% sure, but I would imagine that an i3 would be able to handle owncloud just fine. A friend of mine is running a Pentium G4400 and it handles 1-2 decent frame rates transcoding for plex. On my current setup (on old hardware) I have a Core2Quad (2.3Ghz) with 8GB DDR2 ram that runs a 2x2TB mirror with plex and owncloud plugins and runs just fine. I am only running one user for owncloud.

IsNoGood

Cadet
My current system work fine until i sync large folder by window client. If i do this cpu load increase to 100% and web interface both Owncloud and FreeNAS becomes absolutely unusable until the end of sync.

lmbcdk

Cadet
My current system work fine until i sync large folder by window client. If i do this cpu load increase to 100% and web interface both Owncloud and FreeNAS becomes absolutely unusable until the end of sync.

Interesting, I will have to try with a large folder on my current setup to see if I run into the same issue or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IsNoGood

Cadet
Interesting, I will have to try with a large folder on my current setup to see if I run into the same issue or not.
In my case it was 65Gb of photos and videos (mostly photos) when i first time upload it. Also need to admit, i used LAN connetction (sync speed about 35MB/s) Then it happens few times wlen upload lesser folder but don't remember it size and content. I use Owncloud mostly to keep and share photo and video within family and friends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.