Performance checkup CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nindustries

Patron
Hello,

Just to check if my CPU would have any problems with.mu NAS' purposes. I will be using theIntel Xeon E3-1220L v2 (2.30 Ghz) because of it's low TDP.

Use cases:
- nightly backups (so not so important)
- minidlna, stream music to receiver
- owncloud, syncing cellphone
- crashplan
- sabznd
- couchpotato
- sickbeard
- performant throughput when using PC
- HQ media streaming to max 2 htpc's

Do you guys think I should pick a CPU with a higher clockrate? When I have it in the end, i'll post the benchmarks.

Greetings

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't be looking at the TDP to determine what is efficient. That TDP value is the theoretical maximum thermal output of the CPU at maximum load.

If my CPU had a TDP that is 100x yours, but is idle 200x more often than yours and has an idle wattage that is 1/3 of your CPU, Technically my cpu is better off.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. It has everything to do with what the idle wattage is versus load since your server will spend most of its time idle.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's totally a personal choice. If my means anything I'm using an e3-1230v2 and I wouldn't change it even if I had the option of getting a new CPU for free(unless I could just ebay it).

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Nindustries,

If you want dual cores just pick up an i3...should be about half the cost of the E3-1220L & close to a GHz faster.

-Will

Nindustries

Patron
That's totally a personal choice. If my means anything I'm using an e3-1230v2 and I wouldn't change it even if I had the option of getting a new CPU for free(unless I could just ebay it).

To come back at your CPU, can you post how much power it uses? (load/idle)
I can imagine such a CPU is never active at full throttle :D

I have a new candidate: E3-1265L-v3-8M-Cache-2_50-GHz

cyberjock

Inactive Account
With no hard drives and idle it was something like 35w. With all 24 disks at full throttle(scrub in progress) its about 235w.

Nindustries

Patron
Thinking about going for the Xeon E3-1265Lv3 4 cores is enough for my applications/streaming, and Samba shares should be swift with turbo up to 3.7Ghz.
It's a L-version (compared to yours), and scrubs perform nightly so meh. I wonder what the idle wattage would be..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
WHOA.. nightly scrubs is WAY too frequently. Scrubs are very hard on your disks, I wouldn't do them more than once a week, and even that may be excessive. I do 14 days personally.

Nindustries

Patron
WHOA.. nightly scrubs is WAY too frequently. Scrubs are very hard on your disks, I wouldn't do them more than once a week, and even that may be excessive. I do 14 days personally.

Haha, no stress dude, I meant just the fact that it performs over night..not every night :D 14 weeks was my idea also. I'm actually not sure, maybe i'll do it during the day if I want to shut down my NAS over night because WD RED drives can't be spun down.
My mistake, English isn't my foreign language.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly(and there's lots of people that will vouch for this) leaving hard drives on 24x7 seems to be better for them than turning them off and on. It does cost more electricity though.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, its been found that turning them on and off once a day does have a significant impact....most people make the argument that if you go on vacation for a week and don't VPN home its probably a gain to turn them off while you are gone, but daily on/off is pretty bad.

In my case, the power I've spent is cheaper by a long shot than the cost of drive replacements or RMA and paying for shipping, etc.

Totally a personal choice though.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Me, aside from me cooking the drives this summer, I've had 1 failure out of 24 disks in 3 years of 24x7 use. I don't know anyone that can match that.

Status
Not open for further replies.