SOLVED Help updating Plex

spiceygas

Explorer
I have a jail (built from scratch, not using the plugin) for Plex. It's a couple months old. When I try to update Plex I get the message that it's already up-to-date.

The thing is, it's not up to date. My plex server is running version 1.19.4.2935. Freshports has version 1.20.2.3402. I suspect I'm just a goober and am doing something wrong on the command prompt.

Can anyone help?

Code:
root@swoop:~ # pkg update && pkg upgrade multimedia/plexmediaserver
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

samuel-emrys

Contributor
The pkg repositories lag fresh ports, usually by a few days but it can be up to a couple of weeks - this is down to the maintainer to update the pkg, and will vary with their schedule. Not advocating for it, but this is one of the benefits of using ports over pkg. Try again in a few days

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

spiceygas

Explorer
The pkg repositories lag fresh ports, usually by a few days but it can be up to a couple of weeks - this is down to the maintainer to update the pkg, and will vary with their schedule. Not advocating for it, but this is one of the benefits of using ports over pkg. Try again in a few days
It's lagging by several months.

I'll admit to being a FreeBSD newb. How do I use Fresh Ports instead of pkg?

spiceygas

Explorer
It's lagging by several months.

I'll admit to being a FreeBSD newb. How do I use Fresh Ports instead of pkg?
I looked at the script that @sretalla linked, and that seems to be a good option. I'll give that a shot.

Thank you both for the quick responses.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Is swoop the name of your jail? It looks like you are trying to run the upgrade command on the base system and not the jail.

spiceygas

Explorer
Is swoop the name of your jail? It looks like you are trying to run the upgrade command on the base system and not the jail.
Yes, that's the name of my jail. I was running the command in the jail's terminal, not on the base system.

samuel-emrys

Contributor
Yes, that's the name of my jail. I was running the command in the jail's terminal, not on the base system.
Ah, I see what you're saying. I was referring to the fact that .3402 was only released on Oct 6. That's strange. I haven't seen anyone try to prefix multimedia when trying to install/upgrade plexmediaserver before, have you tried just executing pkg upgrade plexmediaserver? I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but it's easy enough to confirm.

Otherwise, the FreeBSD handbook provides good instructions on how to use ports: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-using.html

By default, jails use the packages from quarterly branch. This is all noted in the Freshports link you referenced, if you scroll down to the packages section.

If you are fanatic about running the latest plex version, consider switching to the latest branch.

spiceygas

Explorer
As a quick update, I used the script that @sretalla linked and got it to work. It was finicky, though.

Just running it didn't work (couldn't find the update file automatically), so I had to manually download and use the -l option to point the script at the local file. After that, Plex wasn't working so I restarted the jail. Now it seems to be working again.

So it looks like it'll just be a bit of haggling to make it run. Odd, but it works ok. Thanks everyone for the help.