Need help with manual jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajschot

Patron
I know there are several topics about it but all are old or did not work for me.

My jails all keep on saying there is no new repository update and i know there is.
I changed the plugin collection to http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/pbi-meta/pbi-repo.rpo and jail adress to http://download.freenas.org/jails/11/x64/

When i am in the jail shell from my plex jail i get this:

Code:
root@PlexServer:/ # pkg update												 
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...										
FreeBSD repository is up to date.											   
All repositories are up to date.   

Then i tried a forced update
Code:

root@PlexServer:/ # pkg update -f											   
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...										
[PlexServer] Fetching meta.txz: 100%	944 B   0.9kB/s	00:01				
[PlexServer] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%	6 MiB   3.2MB/s	00:02		 
Processing entries:   0%														
pkg: Newer FreeBSD version for package kfilemetadata-kde4:					 
- package: 1101001															 
- running kernel: 1100122													   
pkg: repository FreeBSD contains packages for wrong OS version: FreeBSD:11:amd64
Processing entries: 100%														
Unable to update repository FreeBSD											 
Error updating repositories!													
root@PlexServer:/ #	   

No help at all, but i see for instance that the latest Plex Server is in the plugin list of freenas.
Can someone give me the right address or explain me what i am doing wrong?

pschatz100

Guru
This is a Warden jail. Right? I had the same issue and I think Warden jails are no longer being updated.

Do you really need the latest version of Plex, right now?

If you want the latest version of Plex, then you will need to create a new jail which will be under the newer iocage manager. You can create the jail and install Plex via the CLI, but if you decide to do this then update FreeNAS to 11.1u4 which has the most current version of iocage. Several threads have been posted about how to do this, but be wary about following instructions in older threads - iocage has made some changes in the last year.

If you prefer to use a Plex plugin via the GUI, then I would wait for FreeNAS 11.2 which is supposed to support iocage plugins.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This is exactly why we should get rid of plugins, at least this kind of plugin...this is not how stuff works with jails, guys.

pschatz100

Guru
When iocage was first announced, I decided to learn more about jails. Warden was always kind of a black box to me. I find iocage much easier to understand and more pleasant to use.

Setting up an iocage jail and installing an application from the package repository is not all that difficult, and I don't see any reason why a user could not be guided through the steps via the FreeNAS GUI. Perhaps that is the plan... this would eliminate the requirement for specialized plugin files. FreeNAS could present a list of plugins that would actually refer to scripts that set up a standard jail and install the desired app from the repository. This would help folks who are not comfortable with the CLI.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If it's a warden jail (likely it is) then your getting that message because your jails FreeBSD version is EOL and no longer supported. You will need to recreate your jails using iocage if you want to keep them current. Running the command freebsd-version will tell you what version they are.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Does anyone else think it's odd that a release was EOL'd as soon as a new point release came out?
Point release plus 3 months according to the new support model.
Effective FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE, the support model has been changed to allow more rapid development while also providing timely security updates for all supported releases.

Under the new support model, each major version's stable branch is explicitly supported for 5 years, while each individual point release is only supported for three months after the next point release.

https://www.freebsd.org/security/

Still, it makes for a moving target for FreeNAS with their releases lagging a bit behind the FreeBSD versions.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
it makes for a moving target for FreeNAS with their releases lagging a bit behind the FreeBSD versions.
For various definitions of "a bit".

danb35

Hall of Famer
Point release plus 3 months according to the new support model.
Slightly better, but still a PITA--even without the FreeNAS lag you mention, it pretty well kills warden jails.

ajschot

Patron
sorry I was busy with my work and personal things too.... a lot of reactions yes it is a warden jail. so I need to rebuild all my jails like flex, nzbget, couch potato etc? most of them is not so much work only flex... too bad I have to rebuild all that every 2 years because it all changes every time. I think I will have to look into something else that will have it longer time proof

thank you all!
I still find it strange that the plugin is updated.... but well I will lookup all the socage stuff... I loved docker way on corral only this way it needed much more resources

Last edited:

ajschot

Patron
This is exactly why we should get rid of plugins, at least this kind of plugin...this is not how stuff works with jails, guys.
Just want to say... I did not install the plugin, I created a jail manually in Freenas 11 (think it was in 11-U2 but not sure about that

but all thanks for your help and opinions. I did some icage stuff before I used esxi ro run Ubuntu but this is a long time ago I have to look some stuff up again.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

pschatz100

Guru
iocage has a mechanism to update and/or upgrade. Once it is fully stable, I think it will be a nice tool for managing jails.

I would imagine that, at some point, FreeNAS developers will offer a way to migrate Warden jails to iocage.

But let's not be too hard on Warden. It has been around for a long time. I have some old jails that continue to run just fine - just no more updates. At some point, I might migrate them to iocage - but there really is no hurry.

ajschot

Patron
iocage has a mechanism to update and/or upgrade. Once it is fully stable, I think it will be a nice tool for managing jails.

I would imagine that, at some point, FreeNAS developers will offer a way to migrate Warden jails to iocage.

But let's not be too hard on Warden. It has been around for a long time. I have some old jails that continue to run just fine - just no more updates. At some point, I might migrate them to iocage - but there really is no hurry.
But the plex jail is updated in the warden plugin.... only I can not update my repository to update plex. The plugin version in freeness is 1.12.2.4929
Only in my manual jail the latest version keeps to be on 1.10. something because it dote want to update the repository (with command: pkg update)
So the warden plugin is updated only not in a manual created jail

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Only in my manual jail the latest version keeps to be on 1.10. something because it dote want to update the repository
The reason for this was answered in my previous post as well as what you need to do to correct it.

pschatz100

Guru
But the plex jail is updated in the warden plugin.... only I can not update my repository to update plex. The plugin version in FreeNAS is 1.12.2.4929
Only in my manual jail the latest version keeps to be on 1.10. something because it dote want to update the repository (with command: pkg update)
So the warden plugin is updated only not in a manual created jail
I think maybe you do not understand what a plugin is. Somebody associated with FreeNAS goes through the trouble to assemble the software into a plugin that runs in a special jail. That person can put whatever software they want into the plugin - a plugin will include the main application and a variety of other tools and OS components that are necessary to make the plugin run.

If you had the knowledge and skill, you could do this too. Since most of us rely on the standard OS commands for managing our jails manually, when something is EOL'd (End of Life) then you cannot update anymore. And that is the story with Warden. No more updates.

ajschot

Patron
The reason for this was answered in my previous post as well as what you need to do to correct it.

11.0-RELEASE-p1

I already tried to update freebsd inside the jail but that is not possible
Code:

Shell
root@PlexServer:/ # freebsd-update fetch										
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.					   
Fetching public key from update4.freebsd.org... failed.						 
Fetching public key from update6.freebsd.org... failed.						 
Fetching public key from update5.freebsd.org... failed.						 
No mirrors remaining, giving up.												
root@PlexServer:/ #

Last edited:

ajschot

Patron
I think maybe you do not understand what a plugin is. Somebody associated with FreeNAS goes through the trouble to assemble the software into a plugin that runs in a special jail. That person can put whatever software they want into the plugin - a plugin will include the main application and a variety of other tools and OS components that are necessary to make the plugin run.

If you had the knowledge and skill, you could do this too. Since most of us rely on the standard OS commands for managing our jails manually, when something is EOL'd (End of Life) then you cannot update any more. And that is the story with Warden. No more updates.
This is partly nonsense.
`if you just want to troll please do it somewhere else otherwise learn me how to update the internal repository, because I get an error that you just ignore. Forums are for people looking for help and people that want to help ... it looks like you are the best and don't help so please troll somewhere else. I had ubuntu installed under iocage on fn9 so I knew how it works. But you can not know everything

Last edited:

ajschot

Patron
Solved

-> Delete de pkg db, pkg cache and pkg config files
-> Create a new jail
-> in new jail update pkg db
-> copy pkg db, pkg config files from new jail to plex jail
-> check version pkg search plexmediaserver (must show latest version)
-> pkg install plexmediaserver (pkg upgrade did not work)

Now works perfect on latest plex

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.