SOLVED Freshports shows new version but pkg update and upgrade show nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerpentMage

Dabbler
Hello,

Sorry is this is a stupid question, I've been running FreeNAS and Plex for a while, however I consider myself as knowing enough to be dangerous but not smart enough to fix some of my issues. :)

I'm trying to upgrade my Plex Media Server (plex pass version) from Version 1.7.4.4017 to Version 1.7.5.4035. Freshports.org shows that it has 1.7.5.4035 uploaded, however when I run
Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass
I get no errors, but also no upgrade. Below is what I get.

Code:
user@plex:/ # pkg update && pkg upgrade multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass	 
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...										
FreeBSD repository is up to date.											   
All repositories are up to date.												
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...										
FreeBSD repository is up to date.											   
All repositories are up to date.												
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)									 
Your packages are up to date. 

Am I missing something or being too impatient?

Thanks for any guidance.

-John

D

dlavigne

It's only been 20 hours so the next sweep of the all packages build probably hasn't finished yet.

If you're truly impatient, you can always update the ports tree and build the port.

SerpentMage

Dabbler
It's only been 20 hours so the next sweep of the all packages build probably hasn't finished yet.

If you're truly impatient, you can always update the ports tree and build the port.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll way a day or two and try again. Apologies for the post when none was needed.

-John

fracai

Guru
Be very careful before compiling from the tree. It's likely that the tree has many newer versions than are available in pkg and compiling your one new version may pull in multiple other dependencies. You can then get in to conflicts where a previously installed pkg is now not compatible with the new tree version. There are usually ways to work through this, but it can be a headache. It's generally best to stick to just ports or just packages.

SerpentMage

Dabbler
Yeah no worries, recompiling the tree sounds like way more effort than is worth a small dot release like this. I'll just keep trying every so often until it updates on it's own.

Thanks all! :)

fracai

Guru
FreshPorts is useful here. You can sign up to receive email when specific ports have been upgraded each week. Also, there is a linked page for each port which details the available pkg version so you can see if the latest has been compiled and made available.

http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/
http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=multimedia&portname=plexmediaserver-plexpass

Ports currently knows about version: 1.7.5.4035
All the pkg versions are really out of date, but I know newer versions are available. I'm not sure what's going on there. If memory serves correctly (narrator: it doesn't) plex usually sees new pkgs a few days to a week after they're posted in ports.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Plex, more than any other piece of software that our users use, generates this panicked zeal to upgrade, and instantaneous emails to Feldman (God bless that guy, I'm going to buy him a drink at vBSDCon if he's there), "zomg omg omg there's a new plex version out and it's not in the ports tree/pkgs zomg zomg zomg zomg". We have people that refuse to use the FreeNAS plugins because they might be stuck a week or two before upgrading Plex because the guys have to fix the pbi, etc, when a new version comes out. etc.

All of this zeal appears to be solely focused on Plex. You don't see people flipping {feces} over OwnCloud or Transmission or whatever.

:)

fracai

Guru
I'm not sure about OwnCloud, but I know Transmission has a very slow development cycle. The last actual version bump was over a year ago.

Plex on the other hand sees new versions almost weekly and those updates introduce bug fixes and features fairly regularly.

Plex also has developed something of a cult status due to the effectiveness of the media management. People love media.

Status
Not open for further replies.