SOLVED Help retrieving data from UFS disk (bad superblock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

di0de

Dabbler
I am getting an error on a volume "CRITICAL: The volume Data (UFS) status is DEGRADED" after an improper shutdown.

Tried to mount the drive on my arch linux box with
Code:
mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2 /dev/sdb2 /home/user/ufs_mount

I get the error: wrong fs type, bad superblock (etc)

Code:
dmesg | tail

gives me: "UFS: failed to set blocksize"

Code:
fsck -p /dev/sdb2

tells me bad magic number in super-block.

I have been researching this for hours and I feel like I'm running around in circles so I thought I'd reach out to the board. I've run a number of other commands with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me out?

My freenas is version 9.1.0

joeschmuck

Old Man

di0de

Dabbler
thanks man. I've tried the solutions suggested in that thread. I still able to boot freenas, and it sees my volume when its connected, it just won't mount.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That thread basically says to mount a LIVE disk and mount the drive to that machine. In your case I'd boot a LIVE disk on your FreeNAS box (pull the USB Flash), mount the drive, then mount another external drive (or internal) and copy off your data. It's not going to be easy if you have never done it before nor could I say it will work for sure but it's worth a try. If the data isn't worth the time (only you can be the judge) then I'd reformat the drive and start from scratch, then restore the backups you routinely made.

Good Luck, I think you will be learning a lot about FreeBSD. BTW, that would be a FreeBSD Live disk I'd try first, then maybe a Linux variant, but it probably doesn't matter.

di0de

Dabbler
hmm, well the problem there is my freenas box is an old laptop and the video card is broken so the monitor nor video output doesn't work. That's why I'm trying to repair the drive on a different linux machine. I could boot a live disk on my other linux bot. Is there a reason the live disk would somehow work better than my linux box?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't see why there would be a difference, live or not. At least you have a linux box, you're ahead of the game compared to most folks here. Syntax being the difficult part of course.

di0de

Dabbler
haha well right now I am running a testdisk operation on the drive. All of my fsck operations are coming up with nothing... Is there a repair operation built into freenas that I am forgetting?

joeschmuck

Old Man
No repair operation that I am aware of but then again, I'm not a linux/bsd expert. I' one of those who learn as the need arises. My daily job use to be maintaining a strategic weapon system and crawling around in missiles, yes, actually crawling around in them. Back in those days we had punched cards, ferrite core RAM, and a Drum hard drive (a whole 8MB of storage). And your name "di0de", we had an array of diodes and a few stepper motors/switches which would run through this large collection of diodes which were the bootstrap program, a series of 1's and 0's. Well you know I'm old now, the ramblings of an old man.

di0de

Dabbler
haha wow that's pretty cool. I am pretty lucky I was able to repair partition with testdisk on my linux box. Now freenas can read the drive again. All this bc I tried install a new drive for backup and screwed it up somehow. Backing everything up as we speak now, thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.