Help Please! How to locate "Shared" directory not listed in "zfs list" shell command?

Saw Kyrom

Cadet
Maybe someone would kindly give me some guidance. Is there a way to list all the existing shared directories on FreeNAS shell. The command: zfs list, does not show any shared directories, only pools, despite the files being on the system.

I tested this by creating a dummy shared directory called TEST. I transferred a 2 GB file and am able to access it remotely via windows SMB file system (\\IP\NAS\Media\VideoFiles\TEST). However, the file is not listed in the datasets or the directory zfs list.

The reason I ask is because I created another Windows SMB sharing folder on FreeNAS server and transferred 500GB of files from windows computer to this shared folder. I was unable to access these files from an Android device, so I created a dataset with the same name. I was then going to transfer these files from the SMB shared directory to the dataset and discovered that I lost access to the shared folder on my windows device. Would creating a "dataset" delete files within an identically named "SMB shared" directory? IF not, I would like to locate the hidden directory path to map the location and retrieve these files? I received no delete prompts or warnings. I would of expected at the least that these files would have been merged if there was a conflict since they shared the same file name: i.e. (NAS/Media/VideoFiles)

If I could browse all files on the NAS, I would know for sure if the previous files are lost. How do you list the vfs directories? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Alecmascot

Guru

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
ZFS datasets and shared directories are technically not related at all. You can mkdir directories and share them with Samba as you please. It is a matter of convention and policy like what data do I want to treat as a single entity in terms of snapshots and replication amd similar questions.

HTH
Patrick