Help Me Fix SickRage please, Windows Permission related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Ward

Contributor
It will add that group ("users" from your fileserver) back if desired. You would go to the share [Right Click] > Properties > Security > Edit. In the resulting window you would click Add. In the resulting window clock "Advanced". In the resulting window clock "Find Now". In the search results at the bottom you should find a line for the "users" group with the server name in the "In Folder" column. Click it and then click "Ok." Then edit the permissions.

Yes, if that is the desired functionality then you don't need the users group at all to manage those permissions specifically.

Please see gif for what its doing when trying to re add the users group back, doesn't matter if i add it back with full permission like it originally was before i removed it

it'll let me add specific users to folders but not that group for what ever reason

problem.gif

toadman

Guru
Odd. Not sure how to solve that.

I suppose you could restart by resetting permissions from the Freenas side (with set permissions recursively checked) for Windows with Chris as the owner and Users as the group. Then change from within Windows again.

Did you want to delete the Everyone group? Just not sure how you ultimately decided to manage it.

Christopher Ward

Contributor
Odd. Not sure how to solve that.

I suppose you could restart by resetting permissions from the Freenas side (with set permissions recursively checked) for Windows with Chris as the owner and Users as the group. Then change from within Windows again.

Did you want to delete the Everyone group? Just not sure how you ultimately decided to manage it.

If i reset the permissions in the future from the FreeNAS side would that not break the plugins again? i don't see me ever needing to do that tho as i have it setup properly this time

Nah i'll keep the everyone group, it's working the way i wanted so now i just need to try install these plugins again

Thanks again for your help :)

Christopher Ward

Contributor
Just a follow up from the previous permissions topic;

I have installed a fresh copy of sabnzbd from the plugins page in the GUI but when i try change the download folders to my media in sab i get the error "cannot create download dir_ folder /mnt/media"

My user (CHRIS) and group (USERS) UID in freenas is 1001

Steps i have taken to try fix:

when i try to see the permissions on the fresh install of the var/db/sabnzbd folder it's set to media
Code:
root@sabnzbd_1:/ # ls -l var/db/sabnzbd
total 21
drwxrwxrwx  3 media  media	 3 Oct 15 16:47 Downloads
drwxrwxrwx  2 media  media	 3 Oct 15 16:47 admin
drwxrwxrwx  2 media  media	 4 Oct 15 16:47 logs
-rw-------  1 media  media  7533 Oct 15 16:48 sabnzbd.ini
-rw-------  1 media  media  7053 Oct 15 16:48 sabnzbd.ini.bak

So I found this:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

and done Solution 2 so i typed the following:

Code:
pw useradd -n chris -u 1001 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin
service sabnzbd onestop
chown -R 10001:1001 /var/db/sabnzbd
sysrc 'sabnzbd_user=chris'
service sabnzbd onestart

(console error saying illegal group name when typing as chris:users for the chown so i instead used 1001:10001, not sure if that is correct)

But after i type onestart i get the error:
Code:
root@sabnzbd_1:/ # service sabnzbd onestart
Starting sabnzbd.

Fatal error:
  "/var/db/sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini" is not a valid configuration file<br>Error message: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/db/sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini'
Specify a correct file or delete this file.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd: WARNING: failed to start sabnzbd

and when i do:

Code:
root@sabnzbd_1:/ # ls -l var/db/sabnzbd
total 39
drwxr-xr-x  3 10001  chris	 3 Oct 15 16:57 Downloads
drwxr-xr-x  2 10001  chris	 8 Oct 15 17:01 admin
drwxr-xr-x  2 10001  chris	 4 Oct 15 16:57 logs
-rw-------  1 10001  chris  7516 Oct 15 17:01 sabnzbd.ini
-rw-------  1 10001  chris  7516 Oct 15 17:01 sabnzbd.ini.bak

So another road block and i'm not sure how to fix

EDIT: when i was doing the chown i was putting an extra 0 :mad:

All seems to be fine now :rolleyes:

Last edited:

toadman

Guru
I think you might screw things up doing it that way as you have the jail accessing the share via "unix" and other users accessing the share via SMB. Not sure though.

I would have had all access via SMB, including the jail.

For example, let's say Sickrage (or Sonarr) running in the jail puts a TV show into the dataset. What Windows permissions does that file have?

Christopher Ward

Contributor
I think you might screw things up doing it that way as you have the jail accessing the share via "unix" and other users accessing the share via SMB. Not sure though.

I would have had all access via SMB, including the jail.

For example, let's say Sickrage (or Sonarr) running in the jail puts a TV show into the dataset. What Windows permissions does that file have?

How would i do that?

After i fixed the above and changed the download directory's i noticed sab had this error before i restarted it and it wont turn on again

Code:
2018-10-15 21:48:03 ERROR Cannot change permissions of /mnt/media/downloads/incomplete
2018-10-15 21:48:03 WARNING Cannot access PID file /var/run/sabnzbd/sabnzbd.pid

and i restarted it and it wont turn on now

I'm really not having much luck =/

The tutorial i'm following

https://web.archive.org/web/2018040...installation-configuration-of-freenas-plugins

I added:

Code:
pw useradd -n chris -u 1001 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin
service sickrage onestop
chown -R 1001:1001 /var/db/sickrage
sysrc 'sickrage_user=chris'
service sickrage onestart

Got the error

Code:
Starting sickrage.
PID dir: /var/run/sickrage must be writable (write permissions). Exiting.

So i done the following:

Code:
chown -R 1001:1001 /var/db/sickrage

and sickrage seems to now be running and letting me create shows (with the right windows permissions its saying chris is the owner of the folder it crates for shows)

I just cant seem to get sabnzbd to work?

Edit : FreeNAS thinks sab is off but it's working but i keep getting errors in sab:

Code:
2018-10-15 22:40:11 ERROR Cannot change permissions of /mnt/media/downloads/incomplete/xxxxxxxxxxx.rar

Last edited:

Christopher Ward

Contributor
I fixed the Sabnzbd errors by removing the 777 (and putting it blank) Permissions for completed downloads under config > folders :)

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it glad your article was saved on the web archive or i would be lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.