Help Me Fix SickRage please, Windows Permission related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Ward

Contributor
i was messing around trying to setup windows shares not really knowing what i was doing and i changed a few things like
dataset owner
dataset group
group permission type to windows

(i wanted guests to be able to view everything but not edit, and if you login as a user you could edit)

I think i broke sickrage by updating it, i noticed it said it was unable to get version info with an update option so i clicked update and now its not working i get this on the page:

Code:
502 Bad Gateway
nginx/1.10.3

The URLS i use for my jails:
http://192.168.0.35/sabnzbd/
http://192.168.0.35/sickrage/home
http://192.168.0.35/couchpotato/movies/

My plugins > Installed shows them all ON except Sickrage and it wont turn on

I followed a guide to set everything up a few years ago, i'm not sure which guide but it was one that installed them all in the one jail with custom urls,

Im pretty sure my data permissions used to be media or something similar, i don't want to edit and break it anymore than i have

I think i also changed the services > smb options > guest account to guest

i hope i didn't lose all my programs and someone can help me fix this mess?

when i do "service sickrage start" inside the jail i get this error:

Code:
root@sabnzbd_1:/ # service sickrage start																						   
Starting sickrage.																												 
Traceback (most recent call last):																								 
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/SickBeard.py", line 69, in <module>										 
   import sickbeard																												
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/sickbeard/__init__.py", line 46, in <module>								
   from sickbeard import (auto_postprocessor, dailysearcher, db, helpers, logger, metadata, naming, post_processing_queue, properFi
nder, providers, scheduler,																										 
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/sickbeard/naming.py", line 27, in <module>								 
   from sickbeard import common, logger, tv																						
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/sickbeard/tv.py", line 36, in <module>									 
   from sickbeard import db, helpers, image_cache, logger, network_timezones, notifiers, postProcessor, subtitles				 
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/sickbeard/subtitles.py", line 50, in <module>							   
   provider_manager.register('itasa = sickrage.providers.subtitle.itasa:ItaSAProvider')											
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/lib/subliminal/extensions.py", line 64, in register						 
   ext = self._load_one_plugin(ep, False, (), {}, False)																		   
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/lib/stevedore/extension.py", line 225, in _load_one_plugin				 
   plugin = ep.load(require=verify_requirements)																				   
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/lib/pkg_resources.py", line 1958, in load								   
   entry = __import__(self.module_name, globals(),globals(), ['__name__'])														 
  File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/sickrage/providers/__init__.py", line 35, in <module>					   
   from feedparser import FeedParserDict																						   
ImportError: cannot import name FeedParserDict																					 
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sickrage: WARNING: failed to start sickrage																	 
root@sabnzbd_1:/ #																												 
root@sabnzbd_1:/ #			

Attachments

• plugins.png
    plugins.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 336
  • data permissions.PNG
    data permissions.PNG
    51.6 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

toadman

Guru
What version of FreeNAS?

Yea, you probably broke permissions. I suppose you could reset them to something neutral and start debugging. But why do you want SMB enabled? Is that required? I could understand it for the media itself, but not the jail(s).

I think another (potentially bigger) issue is from the pic you posted your pool appears to be ~93% full. Normally you'd want to address that at 80%. Are you not seeing a warning from FreeNAS when you log in? (The button on the upper right of the web interface isn't yellow or red?) Or did I see that wrong? 1.7TB free out of ~27TB? I realize you probably have a lot of static data with media files, but eventually the fragmentation of constant VM writes will probably tank the performance of your pool.

Christopher Ward

Contributor
I would just like it so i can control who can edit, move or delete files as a few people are on my network and i would like to be the only one with those powers

Version: FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1)

I do get the warning about the storage and i have been slowly upgrading all my drives from 3tb to 4tb and have only one left to upgrade so that error will go away soon i hope.

I'm not really sure how to fix this mess i've got myself in and i consider myself a beginner

toadman

Guru
Depends on how the files are being accessed. Logging into FreeNAS? Network share? etc.

If via network share, then yes, convert everything to Windows permissions (there are tutorials for this) and manage it via groups/users you setup on the FreeNAS machine. For example, you would give yourself and root admin permissions via Windows (which you would use to manage the dataset after you set the initial permissions. Then you would either (1) add another group for "read only" permissions and add users to that group or (2) manage each user and give them "read only" permissions, in either case you would do this via accessing the share via Windows.

Here is the first link that comes up on google when searching for resetting Windows permissions...

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cifs-ownership-authorization-wipe-and-restart.54832/

Christopher Ward

Contributor
Now I've just broke sabnzbd and couch, not sure what i done wrong

done this in the jail: (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/can't-update-sickrage-plugin.35894/)

rm -r /usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage
fetch --no-verify-peer "https://github.com/SiCKRAGETV/SickRage/archive/master.tar.gz"
tar -zxf master.tar.gz
mv SickRage-master /usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage
chown -R media:media /usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage
rm master.tar.gz

and i put the dataset owner and group to media

Really could be doing with some help toward fixing these

edit no plugins are working even plexmediaserver that was in a different jail

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 306
  • media user.PNG
    media user.PNG
    30.3 KB · Views: 332

toadman

Guru
I'm not sure I'm the best person to help because I don't use any jails. That said, I think you have two separate issue, that maybe have the same root cause.

(1) The software in your jail(s) is not working.
(2) You apparently cannot share your media dataset in the way you want.

I think you will have to address each one of those separately.

On (1), why would you set the permissions of the entire pool to owner:media and group:media? I would think the pool itself would want to be Owner:root and group:wheel with Unix permissions. Same for the jails dataset. The media dataset could be media:media, perhaps with Windows permissions.

Assuming you fix that part (and again, I'm not a jails expert, but that's how my system is setup), then you'll need someone familiar with SickRage to chime in. I've never installed it in a jail.

Re: (2), the question of how you access the media data needs to be answered. If you are mounting the "media" dataset in the jail via , then I don't think you want the permissions on "media" to be Windows. If you are accessing the data on "media" via a network share, then it's ok to have Windows permissions set on that dataset. And from the jail you would install the necessary packages to mount the share as SMB. That way you are letting SMB manage the permissions.

toadman

Guru
Out of curiosity I installed the plexmediaserver pbi. Works ok, in that it starts up with the service running. When I check the permissions on the datasets, the jails dataset and the PBI underneath are both root:wheel, 755, and Unix permissions.

At a minimum I suppose you could blow away what you have and reinstall.

Christopher Ward

Contributor
(1) i think that is what it was before, i really have not got a clue, i followed a guide a few years ago that let you set it up in one jail but i can't find it anymore so if i decide to just start from scratch and delete all my jails i will need to find the best guide for what i'm looking for

In terms of plugins i only have Sabnzbd, SickRage, PlexMediaServer & CouchPotato

--

I would just like to be able to view my media over my windows network like i do just now but just now anyone can edit, move or delete files so i would just like the added security of it not being edible by anyone browsing the network

If i was to re-install and decide to lose all my shows on sickrage could you help me set it up properly the way i want it:

I want anyone to be able to go to network and click the "MEDIASERVER/media" or be able to map the "MEDIASERVER/media" and it not ask for a user or password but you can only VIEW / open files

If you map with credentials of lets say user: chris you have full permissions, or maybe even a group called admins and i can add whoever to that group

My current folder structure is like this:

\\MEDIASERVER\media
\\MEDIASERVER\media > downloads
\\MEDIASERVER\media > downloads > apps
\\MEDIASERVER\media > downloads > movies
\\MEDIASERVER\media > downloads > tv
\\MEDIASERVER\media > music
\\MEDIASERVER\media > videos > documentaries
\\MEDIASERVER\media > videos > movies
\\MEDIASERVER\media > videos > tvshows

Last edited:

Christopher Ward

Contributor
If i was to create it the way i want could you help with the following to make sure i set it up properly this time

user creation

Creating Group:
create group.PNG

Creating UseR: (changed username, full name, password, Auxiliary groups from what was there previously)
create user.PNG

I'm assuming that would be correct?

Storage

Dataset Permissions

upload_2018-10-11_21-42-54.png

Not sure what i would put here?

Dataset Options

upload_2018-10-11_21-45-40.png

SMB Settings:
upload_2018-10-11_21-49-42.png
Not sure what to put here?

Last edited:

toadman

Guru
So if you want to make the decision that the "media" dataset will be accessed as an SMB share, then ok, start there. From what I understand you want yourself ("chris") to have full permissions and any other user have read only permissions.

The way I would set that up is:
(1) create a group on Freenas that will own the dataset. In your example this is "admins". On my system it is "group_mediashare"
(2) create a user on freenas for everyone you want to have access and either make their main group the group from (1) or add them to the group from (1)
(3) Set the permissions on the dataset "media" to owner:chris group:admins with the permissions as Windows, the unix stuff as 750 (i.e. all boxes checked for owner, read/execute for group, and none for everyone), and the recursively box checked.

From here each user would have to enter their password to access the share from Windows. But those credentials can be stored to persist on a windows box.

If you want no passwords, then I suppose you could enable guest access, but I'm not familiar with that as I don't do it that way. I'm sure there is a tutorial out there that can help you set it up that way.

-----------------------------------------

From there you will have to mount this share via the network/SMB even in your jails I think. I do it this way though my services (Plex, Radarr, etc) are in other VMs. They all mount the storage as SMB shares. This lets the SMB permissions govern the access and doesn't screw things up.

It's possible the plugins on Freenas expect the mounts to be in a certain spot, like /media or something, so you'd have to comply with those norms. The tutorial would have that information. But the difference is you are *NOT* mounting the storage via the jail itself. You have to mount it via SMB within the jail.

styno

Patron
Just a heads up on sickrage: the git repository is/was once again in trouble and taken over/back. The so called update is breaking stuff on FreeNas.
To get it back up and running, roll back your jail to a snapshot before you clicked on update, disable autoupdate and start looking for alternatives. Pymedusa is on my shortlist.

Christopher Ward

Contributor
Just a heads up on sickrage: the git repository is/was once again in trouble and taken over/back. The so called update is breaking stuff on FreeNas.
To get it back up and running, roll back your jail to a snapshot before you clicked on update, disable autoupdate and start looking for alternatives. Pymedusa is on my shortlist.

(1)would this would be correct for the dataset permissions?

upload_2018-10-12_7-7-36.png

(2) i have created an admin group and a user for the admin group above is that correct? new user group and new user:

upload_2018-10-12_7-11-13.png

upload_2018-10-12_7-12-6.png

How do i reset the SMB Settings back to default as i was messing around with those as well?

Assuming all is correct have i missed anything i need to configure or should that be it once SMB settings are sorted

Last edited:

toadman

Guru
Here is a permissions tutorial from iX Systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBszScnsRgY

Here is another tutorial using Windows permissions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM

Here is a tutorial using unix permissions to manage SMB shares. Several cases covered using guest access and/or users/groups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zVih_VuGWY

-----------------------------

Please note, if you decide to use Windows permissions on the share, then DO NOT mess with the permissions from within FreeNAS itself.

Christopher Ward

Contributor
Here is a permissions tutorial from iX Systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBszScnsRgY

Here is another tutorial using Windows permissions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM

Here is a tutorial using unix permissions to manage SMB shares. Several cases covered using guest access and/or users/groups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zVih_VuGWY

-----------------------------

Please note, if you decide to use Windows permissions on the share, then DO NOT mess with the permissions from within FreeNAS itself.

Thanks for all your help, i think i'm understanding it a lot better,

I have noticed the minute i create a user account in freenas and try browse on the network it prompts for login details on the windows share, granted i can type any details and it will work but still, if there is no users created it simply logs in with no prompts, anyway to stop this?

I have decided to just have one group called "USERS" and multiple users in that group including me (Chris), when setting up the dataset i've set the "CHRIS" user as the owner and the group as "USERS" but with permission 750 like you said so only me inside the group can edit files,

Dataset Permissions:

upload_2018-10-12_20-46-55.png

SMB Settings:

upload_2018-10-12_20-47-39.png

Sharing > Windows SMB Settings:

upload_2018-10-12_20-48-41.png

Windows Permissions: (It won't let me add the USERS group but it lets me add individual users , is that normal? either way "everyone" can only read and execute anyway so it works as intended without being able to add the USERS group)
upload_2018-10-12_21-12-49.png

TLDRL; I have tested the above and it works the way i want with the exception of it popping up asking for login details, have i missed anything? can i now go onto installing plugins

Christopher Ward

Contributor
Just realised i was changing RaidZ2 and not MEDIA dataset

Does this look fine now:

RaidZ2 (not sure if this is correct now as i was editing this when i should have been editing the media dataset inside RaidZ2?)

upload_2018-10-13_16-55-51.png

MEDIA DATASET
upload_2018-10-13_16-55-27.png

toadman

Guru
Looks right. If you access the share from windows as "chris" then you should be able to edit the permissions. There should be a group listed under (Right Click) > Properties > Security that shows the group "[server_name]\users". It will come up as an S-I-D label at first, then resolve to the group name, just give it a minute. From there you can edit the security permissions on the users group to whatever.

toadman

Guru
In your SMB settings I think you want "Guest access" unchecked. You have a users group that you want to have access and for which you will control permissions, so you probably don't want anyone to be able to access via guest (which will not prompt for credentials).

Christopher Ward

Contributor
Looks right. If you access the share from windows as "chris" then you should be able to edit the permissions. There should be a group listed under (Right Click) > Properties > Security that shows the group "[server_name]\users". It will come up as an S-I-D label at first, then resolve to the group name, just give it a minute. From there you can edit the security permissions on the users group to whatever.

Yeah i can login as CHRIS and edit everything and if i login with another user / guest i can't modify the files

When i went to check the permissions under the security tab it did have a USERS group that came up with a weird label at first then changed to users but it had full permissions to the data so i removed it and tried to re add it with just read and execute but after it scanned all the files it doesn't add the users group, i'm assuming that's because it already has "everyone" added with those same permissions

In your SMB settings I think you want "Guest access" unchecked. You have a users group that you want to have access and for which you will control permissions, so you probably don't want anyone to be able to access via guest (which will not prompt for credentials).

I suppose you're right i don't really need guest access access if i can just give everyone an account and they can login but it's nice to have as they can only view the files and not modify

--

with the help of @Joshua Parker Ruehlig i was able to save my Plex data (i forgot how much i relied on it for the watch status of all my shows and movies)

I re-installed a fresh version of plex via the plugins tab in freenas, copied the plexdata folder from my plex1 jail to my new plex2 jail, typed the following command:

Code:
choown -R 972:972 /mnt/RaidZ2/jails/plexmediaserver_2/var/db/plexdata

deleted plex1 plugin and it all seems to be working fine

I just need to figure out how to get sabnzbd, couch & sickrage (or find an alternative now that it doesn't work) in one jail with nginx like i had before, can't seem to find the tutorial i used a few years ago

Thanks for all your help

toadman

Guru
Glad you fixed it.

Yeah i can login as CHRIS and edit everything and if i login with another user / guest i can't modify the files

When i went to check the permissions under the security tab it did have a USERS group that came up with a weird label at first then changed to users but it had full permissions to the data so i removed it and tried to re add it with just read and execute but after it scanned all the files it doesn't add the users group, i'm assuming that's because it already has "everyone" added with those same permissions.

It will add that group ("users" from your fileserver) back if desired. You would go to the share [Right Click] > Properties > Security > Edit. In the resulting window you would click Add. In the resulting window clock "Advanced". In the resulting window clock "Find Now". In the search results at the bottom you should find a line for the "users" group with the server name in the "In Folder" column. Click it and then click "Ok." Then edit the permissions.

I suppose you're right i don't really need guest access access if i can just give everyone an account and they can login but it's nice to have as they can only view the files and not modify

Yes, if that is the desired functionality then you don't need the users group at all to manage those permissions specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.