SOLVED Help: Lost pool after upgrading to FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipphreak

Dabbler
I tried upgrading to 11 but it failed because i didn't have an 16gb USB drive, it was 8gb. It seems to have locked up at the end. So i rebooted and did a fresh install of 11 on a new 32gb USB flash drive. Now when i try to import my vpool called "HOME" is no longer showing up in the GUI import or the zpool import command. I checked gpart list and there are no zfs partitions listed on any of my drives now, like they were corrupted? As well, all ZFS gpt labels are gone on all drives. I am not sure how this happened. I have 6 drives in the zpool, 3 sets of mirrors (2 drives each). Is there any way possible to repair/recovery data from this ?

It was not encrypted pool, but i did have just LZ4 compression on the Volume.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not trying to be mean here but please read our forum rules and follow them when asking questions like this. The rules link is a the top of the page. The reason being is I can't offer up much advice when I have no idea what version of FreeNAS you started with and your hardware configuration. And I'm not sure why an 8GB Flash Drive couldn't do the upgrade unless you just don't clean out the stored boot environments.

Lack of you information, have you tried to use your old 8GB stick under the older version of FreeNAS?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Besides what @joeschmuck said, do you happen to have a traceback from the failed upgrade?

zipphreak

Dabbler
Sorry I was in a bit of a panic.

9.3.10 originally

Supermicro mini atx 2735 atom board
16gb ECC Ram
8gb Usb Flash for freenas boot
Lsi 2008 8 port sata3/sas controller
6x 1tb drives separated into 3 mirrors. Volume1
2x 146gb 15k sas sdrives volume2
2x 128gb ssd drives volume3
1x Samsung 850 256gb for l2arc cache

I accidentally formatted the existing 8gb flash drive when I went to reinstall 11 clean. I ended up doing it again on a clean 32gb and it was successful. Something happened during these installs that corrupted the partitions because only the drives are showing up in /dev, da0, da1,da4,da5,da6,da7.. gpart list shows no partitions.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

zipphreak

Dabbler
Sorry I was in a bit of a panic.

9.3.10 originally

Supermicro mini atx 2735 atom board
16gb ECC Ram
8gb Usb Flash for freenas boot
Lsi 2008 8 port sata3/sas controller
6x 1tb drives separated into 3 mirrors. Volume1
2x 146gb 15k sas sdrives volume2
2x 128gb ssd drives volume3
1x Samsung 850 256gb for l2arc cache

I accidentally formatted the existing 8gb flash drive when I went to reinstall 11 clean. I ended up doing it again on a clean 32gb and it was successful. Something happened during these installs that corrupted the partitions because only the drives are showing up in /dev, da0, da1,da4,da5,da6,da7.. gpart list shows no partitions.

I don't have any tracebacks it just seemed to hang on the upgrade.

zipphreak

Dabbler
Sorry, FreeNAS 11.0 u4

Last edited by a moderator:

zipphreak

Dabbler
I would doubt it as the zfs swap and data partitions were gone on all my pool drives. I'm working with the other gentlemen that replied here. Had me recreate those partitions and now zpool import -D is showing the pool with my three mirrors, 3x2 1gb drives.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm working with the other gentlemen that replied here. Had me recreate those partitions and now zpool import -D is showing the pool with my three mirrors, 3x2 1gb drives.
Maybe you are working this in a different forum? I don't see any instructions on zpool import nor telling you to recreate the partitions.

Anyway it appears that you are recreating your pool so not really anything else we can do here.

rs225

Guru
It is with me. The partition tables have been rebuilt, but the pool was destroyed. The question is how the pool was destroyed and whether it is safe to import it again.

zipphreak

Dabbler
Rs225 messaged me directly.

We are trying to recover the pool.

Using gpart to recreate the partitions as the data is there on the drives.

Where we are at is zpool import -D now shows the pool in a destroyed state.

I just want to be sure this is right and I won't damage the data.
ae92396d78cc1944eef57b8ffe842b25.jpg

joeschmuck

Old Man
FreeNAS 11.0-U4 is safe to use so my advice is to continue to use it. Do not use FreeNAS 11.1 as it's still in development/testing.

I'll let @rs225 finish helping you but I suspect that you are going to be entering the following command zpool import -D HOME in order to try to recover your pool. After that I suspect you will want to replace the UNAVAIL drive. But keep woprking with @rs225 on this, he should have you up and running but please understand that it's very possible that your data is all gone.

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally select one of the data drives during the rebuild of your boot media? I'm trying to think of things that might have caused an issue.

zipphreak

Dabbler
I'm 100% positive when I did the upgrade and install to 11 I selected da8 which is my Usb flash drive.

rs225

Guru
I think the key issue here is that you think the da8 was insufficient space for the install? Something failed during the install?

zipphreak

Dabbler
That's how this all started , I had like 8 or 9 versions on that drive. So it's definitely my fault but I didn't expect this?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've chatted with @rs225 some and he will give you some more advice.

Also keep in mind that the drive identifiers can change between reboots. They don't often but depending on the system they can. I'm not saying you did something wrong intentionally or at all but when we out here try to troubleshoot a problem we just cannot afford to make assumptions and we treat it all as if someone just handed us the system and we know nothing about it. It's just the best way to move forward and make the best of a bad situation.

Right now I think you have a shot at recovering your data however you just never know until you take the leap. Please post your results when all is done.

zipphreak

Dabbler
Good news. I did the import and I have the data back. I'm resilvering the one mirror that I created a new pool with. That's going.

I also had to replace the l2arc cache SSD.

But I can browse and see all my data so far.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Rs225 messaged me directly.

We are trying to recover the pool.

Using gpart to recreate the partitions as the data is there on the drives.

Where we are at is zpool import -D now shows the pool in a destroyed state.

I just want to be sure this is right and I won't damage the data.
ae92396d78cc1944eef57b8ffe842b25.jpg

Geez, did you really need to take a picture of the monitor? The obvious improvement is to use your favorite screenshot tool (like snipping tool in Windows). The best option is to copy-paste the text into the forum's quote wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.