HELP! Error reading sector 0x##### from 'hd1'

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodofrn

Contributor
Hello mates, the past couple of days I have not been able to connect to my FreeNAS GUI and was not able to access my shares, BUT I was able to watch movies on Plex and such. Today I decided to reboot the server and now it is showing me the following error.

Code:
Welcome to GRUB!
error: failire reading sector 0x4345f7 from 'hd1' .
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _

What is going on, I dont think one of the hard drives went bad, I think it was one of the boot sticks (i have 2 memory sticks mirrored with the freenas OS). Whatever info you need, I can provide. Also I am checking this thread every 2 minutes!

Any ideas or suggestions? THANKS!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Best way to check if one of the sticks went bad is to unplug one and try booting. If that doesn't work, plug it back in and unplug the other one. If neither works, do a fresh install to a new USB stick, upload your saved config file (you have been saving backups, right?), and you're back in business.

rodofrn

Contributor
I did that @danb35 , and neither boot. I guess i have to use 2 new usb sticks and fresh install those? Also, I have Not made backups of the config file . Is there any way i can salvage it from the usb sticks by plugging them into a windows pc and copying a file or something? Thanks man!

danb35

Hall of Famer
guess i have to use 2 new usb sticks and fresh install those?
Try with a single stick, and add a second as a mirror later.
Also, I have Not made backups of the config file
Hopefully you've learned better now. But to recover, do a fresh install, log into the web GUI, cancel out of the wizard, import your pool, and set the .system dataset to be on your pool (rather than on your boot device). Then you should be able to navigate to /var/db/system/configs-(longhexnumber) and get one of the backups of the config file from there.

rodofrn

Contributor
Ok so, I just did a fresh install on a new usb and everything worked fine, was able to import the pool and setup new jails. Apparently both the sticks got corrupted or something, idk! Whatever!! Thanks @danb35

Status
Not open for further replies.