Hello from Southern Cali. I am new to TrueNas Core and like what I have and see so far.

Another-Tech

Cadet
As I begin, I am here for assistance with simply setting network drives ( both Windows and Linux based) that reside at a remote static IP address. I am working strictly remotely via '1 to1 Nat'. I am running TrueNas Core Version: TrueNAS-13.0-U5.1, 95gb of ram, 23 568gb hard drives. I have setup a pool (of 5 disks), added datasets, permissions and a restricted ACL. I have created a user and made that user both the owner and group access to the specific dataset contained in the pool. When I try to connect (map a drive) from a Windows 10 machine I receive a message that the device is not accepting connections of not functioning. I have been following a video guide for setting up a storage pool. What' rather odd to me is the need or abiltiy to setup datasets multiple layers deep. At any rate if I try to map to the bottom layer dataset or use the full path (which looks abnormal to a Windows envrionment) it doesn't work. Over the years I have created shared drives both with Windows boxes and Novell boxes. I think this shouldn't be that complicated at the level of which I am having trouble. I have seen more that one approach to this task. Suggestions please.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware.

You are not supposed to try to "map datasets". You are supposed to set up SMB shares, which then make a particular dataset available as a SMB mountable point. If your pool is "tank", and you create a dataset "dataset", this ends up being "/mnt/tank/dataset", you need to configure Samba to share this out, perhaps as "data", and then you can mount \\truenas\data from your Windows. Don't try anything more complicated until you get the basics working.

Another-Tech

Cadet
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware.

You are not supposed to try to "map datasets". You are supposed to set up SMB shares, which then make a particular dataset available as a SMB mountable point. If your pool is "tank", and you create a dataset "dataset", this ends up being "/mnt/tank/dataset", you need to configure Samba to share this out, perhaps as "data", and then you can mount \\truenas\data from your Windows. Don't try anything more complicated until you get the basics working.
Thank you for the suggestion of both the rules and share mapping.