Hello everyone and I have a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUZR4LIFE

Cadet
I have been trying different methods for my server and I wanted to go with FreeNas 7.2. I could not get it to work. I checked out FlexRAID that wasn't so bad.

Is FreeNAS 8 stable? I will be using 6X2TB's.

For some reason 7.2 doesn't like my mobo and I am a n00b to anything non "Windows".

Thanks everyone

ProtoSD

MVP
Is FreeNAS 8 stable? I will be using 6X2TB's.

Yes, version 8 has been out over a year and most everyone is very happy with it. There are a few version 7 users that are used to some of the bells & whistles that are available in version 8 yet, but version 8.2 is just about to be released in about 4 weeks? That will add plugin support and give people the option of loading apps into a sort of virtual environment called a Jail. I *think* as soon as 8.2 is on it's feet, version 7 may be retired.

There's a ton of info here in the forums, some of it is buried in repeated posting of the same questions, but just about every question I've seen asked here has been answered here in the forums already. Also, in my signature are links to my Unofficial FAQ as well as the Official Docs & Videos.

Thanks for saying hello and welcome to the FreeNAS 8 Forums!

EDIT: Here is the download folder for the different versions. Version 8.04 is about to be released, and 8.03-p1 is the most recent stable release to date.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/

LUZR4LIFE

Cadet
Thanks for your quick reply. Should I wait for 8.2? Or is upgrades simple without data loss?

ProtoSD

MVP
The upgrade should be simple and should not affect your data at all. I would start with 8.03-p1 or maybe even 8.04-Beta2, the 8.0x branch has been around the longest and is the most stable. You'll be able to upgrade to 8.2 from either of those.

LUZR4LIFE

Cadet
OK, thanks. I have 8.03pt1 installed now. It is so much easier than 7.2. I need to shut it down and connect all of my HDD's up. I was just playing with 4X2TB's.

Now I have to decide if I want to go z1 or z2.

LUZR4LIFE

Cadet
Almost done transferring my data but I have to go to work. After I get all of my data on I will create a snapshot, well, that's what I think I have to do. I have not much information on maintenance of my RAID, if someone could lead me to the right direction. I will research it when I get off tonight if I have to.

xbmcg

Explorer
moin protosd,

just wonder, if freeNAS will go for a better integration in windows networks.
I have tried both, fn8 with zfs v15 and the more recent fn7.5 with zfs v28.
Both have a lot of issues in relation to the seemless integration in win7...

So I tried the original - openIndiana 151 based on solaris with latest zfs 28 +
native cifs kernel support for zfs shares and winows acl structures,
insted of samba as console server version. This was the only approach that has
sufficient support for cifs / acl and complete, flawless integration of shadow-copy
snap shots. Even the footprint of 2GB on the USB drive seems quite comparable to
fn on bsd. of course it is a full blown server, it could be stripped / optimized
for appliances and has no http gui out of the box.

How difficut would be to port the ui either from 7.x (easy php) or the v8 ui (more
polished, but disconnected from the system - because based on metadata in a db)?

I know, there are other web-ui around, but they mostly do not support zfs / zpool
very well, and also some guis try to sell cifs know-how as "plugins" for 100€/year/host,
so this is a no-go (e.g. napp-it).

Daisuke

Contributor
I'm not sure what you mean by Win7 support, but I will share my experiences. NFS in Windows 7 is not effcient, I would recommend you to use CIFS. Permissions are straight forward, you set them into FreeNAS and they are automatically available into Windows environment. This is my /media dataset, mapped as Network Disk ( Z: ) in Windows:

Note the Windows permissions, they are inherited from Pluto (FreeNAS box):

Status
Not open for further replies.