Hello FreeNas Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Gibson

Cadet
I am excited to have built my first FreeNas System (FreeNAS-9.10 STABLE but without any updates, downloaded the first week of november), essentially using the ddr4 equivalent of what is found on Brian Moses EconoNas 2016 build here.

No link version:
  • ASUS B150M-K,
  • 6x2TB HGST Deskstar 7200RPM,
  • 16GB DDR 4 (non ECC . . . will upgrade mobo and ram in the next year I think),
  • Intel Celeron G3920 (2 Cores 2 Threads),
  • Boot drive is SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB.
The NIC on the motherboard is a Realtek 8111H.

I use this for my home network, which has 2 mac minis (Sierra and El Capitan, though the El Capitan is also sometimes a MythBuntu box with a USB OTA capture card), my laptop (Windows 7) and my wifes Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10). I have been playing around with various share types, and have a timemachine share so that I duplicate what I have on my timecapsule automatically. The TimeCapsule is also my home router and DHCP server. The NAS and mini's are set up with static IPs.

I also have created general afp and smb shares, and just yesterday started using nfs shares as well. I like the nfs shares for the apple machines, as they seem to work better than the smb, but with both I have encountered errors in the middle of large file transfers TO the NAS box.

I set up afp and smb shares to the same point as well, in the hopes that I could get easy access from all computers to the same dataset. (This did not work very well and has since been deleted.)

My Goal now is to have an SMB share with my media folders for access from all computers and an AppleTV (including OTA dvr recordings from MythTV) and an NFS share for backups of all of the user files on the mac machines.

I have had a couple of issues, I think mostly of my own doing (like two types of shares at the same mount point). But am learning as I go. I have had two instances now where the LAN interface (re0) just stops working and I have to reboot the NAS. I think both times it happened while transferring large amounts of data, and likely while I was also tinkering with the sharepoint settings (not a good idea).

I am looking for some general advice: should I get a new PCIE nic (Intel)? Also, I think I should have my shares set up so that the NFS share uses mapall to the same user/group that owns the SMB share (right now the SMB is a user of the same name as on the macs and nfs maps to nobody/nobody with a qualified network address). Does that seem correct?

My storage array is a ZFS pool called Vault, using 6 drives with RaidZ2. I did not really understand what I was doing when I set this up, so I end up with the root Volume being at /mnt/Vault, and then my nfs share at /mnt/Vault/Vault (really bugs me) and my smb share at /mnt/Vault/Media. Is it possible to rename the volume to Volume1 from Vault so that I will have /mnt/Volume1, that contains both Vault and Media? Id rather not have to redo everything but I have a spare external drive that I could use to transfer off, wipe and redo the pool, and then transfer on.

Lastly, should I simply accept that the GUI file transfers will encounter problems, and set up my macs to execute terminal commands automatically for file transfers (they seem to work much better, if not necessarily faster)?

A little about me: I have an undergraduate engineering degree, worked soon after getting that on IRIX systems coding in c/c++ (love linked lists!) back in the 90s. Now I am an architect (buildings) and code in C# and love to tinker around with things that I barely understand (like FreeNAS and MythTV).

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Is it possible to rename the volume to Volume1 from Vault
Yes, if you're comfortable using the command line:
  1. Export pool from GUI.
  2. zpool import Vault Volume1 in CLI.
  3. zpool export Volume1 in CLI.
  4. Auto-import from GUI.

Status