NFS Share Authorized Networks Not Being Enforced

b1ackb3ar

Cadet
Greetings community,

What seems trivial has turned into a real headache and frustration - I cannot get the NFS shares to enforce their configured authorized networks. I'm looking to only allow specific hosts to mount each of the NFS shares.

TrueNAS Server
Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 (edit: added this)

*NOTE: vault is my pool

zfs list | grep vault
Code:
vault                    940G  9.49T      140K  /mnt/vault
vault/dataset1           140K  9.49T      140K  /mnt/vault/dataset1
vault/dataset2           151K  9.49T      151K  /mnt/vault/dataset2
vault/dataset3          4.30M  9.49T     4.30M  /mnt/vault/dataset3

/etc/exports:
Code:
V4: / -sec=sys
/mnt/vault/dataset1 -maproot="root":"wheel" -sec=sys 10.0.0.2
/mnt/vault/dataset2 -maproot="root":"wheel" -sec=sys 10.0.0.120
/mnt/vault/dataset3 -maproot="root":"wheel" -sec=sys 10.0.1.16

NFS Client

showmount -e <truenas_ip>
Code:
Export list for <truenas_ip>:
/mnt/vault/dataset1      10.0.0.2
/mnt/vault/dataset2      10.0.0.120
/mnt/vault/dataset3      10.0.1.16

However, I'm able to mount any of the datasets from a supposed unauthorized client, say IP 10.0.0.10.

What gives? What am I missing to enforce network / host authorization correctly?

Nick2253

Wizard
Are you actually able to browse the directories? When I try, I'm able to mount a restricted share from anywhere, but I'm unable to view the share's contents or access anything.

EDIT: Actually, I slightly take that back. I'm unable to access any files (read or write), but I am able to browse the folder structure if I know what the directories are. For example, if I cd /mnt/test/dir1, if dir1 exists, I'm able to change into that directory. However, if dir1 does not exist, then I get a "No such file or directory" error.

EDIT2: This appears to have something to do with NFSv4. If I clear the checkbox for "Enable NFSv4" in the Services --> NFS settings, then I get the expected behavior: any attempts to mount the share from a non-authorized device are met with "mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting ..."

Last edited:

b1ackb3ar

Cadet
Are you actually able to browse the directories? When I try, I'm able to mount a restricted share from anywhere, but I'm unable to view the share's contents or access anything.

EDIT: Actually, I slightly take that back. I'm unable to access any files (read or write), but I am able to browse the folder structure if I know what the directories are. For example, if I cd /mnt/test/dir1, if dir1 exists, I'm able to change into that directory. However, if dir1 does not exist, then I get a "No such file or directory" error.

EDIT2: This appears to have something to do with NFSv4. If I clear the checkbox for "Enable NFSv4" in the Services --> NFS settings, then I get the expected behavior: any attempts to mount the share from a non-authorized device are met with "mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting ..."
Huh, you're exactly right about it doing something with NFSv4. If someone could shed light on that, I would greatly appreciative! For now, I'm disabling NFSv4 in the GUI and it is working as expected.

b1ackb3ar

Cadet
So also, apparently you cannot change the Authorized Networks when NFSv4 is disabled. I had to re-enable NFSv4, change the authorized networks/IPs, then turn NFSv4 back off. That seems really odd...