Stale file handle on NFS child datasets

KrisBee

Wizard
Are you by any chance simultanoeusly sharing datasets both via SMB and NFS protocols? I ask, as the ACLs you posted are not the defaults for a unix ( generic) share type.

Elegant

Explorer
We are for other datasets but not these specific parent and child datasets. We could swap the ACLs back to POSIX 777 (what we originally had while troubleshooting) but the stale file handle persists. It's where we first encountered the issue. Thanks!

Last edited:

JCSheeron

Cadet
Hello Elegant. I realize this is about 2 1/2 years later, but I am having the same issue, and I am wondering if/how you resolved the issue.
In my case, I have three child data sets, but his could be a useful clue: Two that were set up initially on TrueNAS Core V11 or 12 (I don't remember), and a third set up recently on V13. In my case, "child_a" and "child_b" seem to work as expected, but "child_c" has the stale handle issue, with the story being very much similar to what you describe in this post.

I am about to give up on the child dataset approach for this and use folders and ACL permissions instead, but I would very much like to understand.
Like you, I am now wondering if this is a bug instead of configuration issue.

Code:
vol1/parent/child_a     (works, set up a couple years ago on V11 or 12)
vol1/parent/child_b     (works, set up a couple years ago on V11 or 12)
vol1/parent/child_c     (mounts, but get a stale file error. Set up recently on V13)