HDD not recognized on freenas 11.2-U4.1

ghostwolf59

Contributor
mobo: ASUS STRIKER II FORMULA
Bios version: 1602
FreeNAS version: 11.2-U4.1

Have stumbled across an issue with adding my 6th native SATA III disk to my old mobo *in effect maxing out my native sata 3 ports on the mobo
BIOS recognize the disk, but FreeNAS dont!
Disk wont show up on "Storage=>disks" and unable to create a new pool (Storage=>Pools=>Add"
Suspected issues with the disk, so took one of my other disks offline and hooked up the disk not being recognized and FreeNAS recognized it immediately.
Somewhat weird!?????

Somewhat unrelated but hope someone might sit with the answer on this....
Initially I thought my native SATA port causing issues was broken somehow *a piece of the plastic broken off as well on the socket* so went out and bought a cheep PCIE to SATA III 6 port controller but that wont even boot my system.
*Unable to enter BIOS with the PCIE card installed and the system post get stuck with an on screen message
Code:
Asmedia 10bx SATA Controller ver 1.00 AHCI Mode
Using PCIE Gen 1 x2
Firmware version 140924_00_00_00
Port   PMP   Model
0         0       ASMT109x- Config SATA 3
1         0       ASMT109x- Config SATA 3

ethereal

Guru
with regard to your sata controller i don't think they work. you need a hba flashed to it mode

ghostwolf59

Contributor
with regard to your sata controller i don't think they work. you need a hba flashed to it mode
No idea what you just said ? Can you elaborate this somewhat?
What do you mean by it needs to be hba flashed - from what I read a A SATA HBA, also known as a "SATA PCIe card" - and it IS a PCI-Express card I got.
The mobo support PCIE 2.0 and clearly the bios sees something based on the post message - the rest is a mystery.
The PCIE SATA III controller is said to have the same transfer rate as my native ports (6GB/s)
The PCIE SATA III controller is claimned to be based on the Marvell Non-RAID chipset - that's pretty much all the info I have on this card.
* this is the card I got (never expected it to be good, but expected it to offer at least some functionality)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PCI-E-T...-Marvell-Chipset-Non-Raid-AC1723/183632854006

ethereal

Guru
No idea what you just said ? Can you elaborate this somewhat?
What do you mean by it needs to be hba flashed - from what I read a A SATA HBA, also known as a "SATA PCIe card" - and it IS a PCI-Express card I got.
The mobo support PCIE 2.0 and clearly the bios sees something based on the post message - the rest is a mystery.
The PCIE SATA III controller is said to have the same transfer rate as my native ports (6GB/s)
The PCIE SATA III controller is claimned to be based on the Marvell Non-RAID chipset - that's pretty much all the info I have on this card.
* this is the card I got (never expected it to be good, but expected it to offer at least some functionality)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PCI-E-T...-Marvell-Chipset-Non-Raid-AC1723/183632854006

from the link you provided

Specifications:
Master chip: ASM1062+1093 X2
Bus interface: PCI-E x4 interface (for PCIE x4, x8, x16/graphic card slot)
Product interface: SATA 3.0 interface x 6
Supported OS: 99% of operating systems, such as for Windows XP/2003/ Vista, for Winn7/8/10 (32/64bit)/MAC/NAS/Linux

under the supported os - bsd or freebsd is not listed - which is what freenas uses
you need a hba flashed to it mode so that freenas gets direct control of the discs
i'll try ad find a link

ethereal

Guru
Last edited:

ghostwolf59

Contributor

Appreciate the links - will check them out - however, you pointed to freebsd and freenas - the problem I have havent even made an attempt to boot the op - its happening during post - fair enough if my nas ends up spitting the dummy, but as we stand now I dont even get to this point - Do you know/understand what the post message actually mean? - perhaps theres something I can do within the BIOS before hooking up this card. Seem that the card render onboard sata ports non active - not even USB ports seem to be there *but thats a guess*
The card didnt come with support drives or anything, and from what I understand a 2.0 or earlier PCIE card should work just fine on my old mobo - that being on the second blue PCIE 16 slot or the grey generic PCIE 16 slot or even any of my PCIE 1 slots

Arubial1229

Dabbler
Don't use PCI-E SATA cards, they're known to have crappy controllers and cause issues. Use a true HBA like an LSI 9211-8i or something similar flashed to IT mode.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Don't use PCI-E SATA cards, they're known to have crappy controllers and cause issues. Use a true HBA like an LSI 9211-8i or something similar flashed to IT mode.

so you think that would work on my legacy Striker II Formula mobo? - Dont want to buy into something like this just to find out later that it didnt work *or that I ran into the same issue* - The card you suggested is after all just another PCIE card
And as for it being flashed to IT mode - How do I determine that *should it be stated or do I just assume thats the case or can I somehow do it myself once I got the card?
No idea what the IT mode mean really?? Not looking for a RAID setup - moved away from that and simply want an array of stand alone disks that I am managing in terms of backups etc

Arubial1229

Dabbler
so you think that would work on my legacy Striker II Formula mobo? - don't want to buy into something like this just to find out later that it didnt work *or that I ran into the same issue* - The card you suggested is after all just another PCIE card
And as for it being flashed to IT mode - How do I determine that *should it be stated or do I just assume thats the case or can I somehow do it myself once I got the card?
No idea what the IT mode mean really?? Not looking for a RAID setup - moved away from that and simply want an array of stand alone disks that I am managing in terms of backups etc

It should work on any PCI-E 2.0 slot. This one here is perfect and already flashed to IT mode. I'm using the same one in fact: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-LS...:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!32563!US!-1

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That motherboard has an Nvidia chipset! That's a trainwreck into a car crash that was caused by a plane crash. It's a small miracle they work at all. Don't expect any sort of reliability.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
That motherboard has an Nvidia chipset! That's a trainwreck into a car crash that was caused by a plane crash. It's a small miracle they work at all. Don't expect any sort of reliability.

Im sure your right, but the mobo still chews along just fine *soon celebrating its 10th anniversary ;) - Dont have any spare cash to build a new box so just trying to get by with what I got