USB 2TB not recognized whatever I do!

Marin

Cadet
Hi to everyone. I read all threads regarding this matter but haven't found solution in any. This is my case. I bought a mini pc Beelink mini s12 pro and I was thinking to start learning on freenas scale. These are the specs of beelink https://www.bee-link.com/catalog/product/index?id=434. Since I have just 4 usb 3.2 drives my only option was to use usb drives which is not recommended. Installed truenas scale on m.2 nvme ssd without issue. One sata ssd was recognised and one usb 2tb as well. I bought another 2tb usb drive and it is not recognized. I played with all settings in bios regarding usb configuration. When I disconnected the usb drive that was recognized I didn't see the second drive. I rebooted several times and nothing. I connected several times usb that wasn't recognized and I typed in shell terminal lblsk and lshw - class disk and the serial numbers are different. Then I took another two disks attached to my OMV server and they were not recognized also. As soon I attach the first drive it is again recognized. So just one usb disk is recognized and no other. When I typed lblsk in shell only the recognized disk was marked with just sdb 1.8T,and unrecognised disk was listed as sdc1 1.8T and sdc1 1.8PART. All other usb disks attached were all showing like latter one just with different letters. 'disks' where for creating pool just showing one disk the first that is recognised. I reinstalled truenas scale 3 times and nothing. Is there a command for shell to make this disks visible? Please help me out.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
That's exactly why USB is not recommended. There is no way to fix this. TrueNAS needs unique serial numbers for all disks which most USB adapters do not provide. Sorry about the bad news.

Arwen

MVP
Some USB attached disks "appear" to have unique serial numbers. But, that specific number is probably not what TrueNAS uses. Thus, USB attached disks are not really supported for data pools;

While a tiny desktop PC might seem like it meets all your NAS needs, (and I have a small desktop I am using right now), but TrueNAS was simply not designed with the lowest end computer hardware in mind.