Problem with moving from USB to SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

di0de

Dabbler
I just picked up a Lenovo TS140 (i3, 16GB ECC RAM). My old setup was a bit of a hack job, I was using 3 USB external drives (seagate expansion).

If I plug the drives into the Lenovo via USB, the system boots up fine, but I tried to install it into the HD bay and connect via SATA, but I get errors (critical: disk state is unknown). I had a minor heart attack, but upon plugging it back in via the USB port the system recognized the discs again.

I searched the forum a bit and found this thread with a similar issue. In that thread, the problem was the SATA/USB bridge board was "doing on-the-fly hardware encryption so the data is only readable via the bridge." So, I suspect that might be what's going on here with me, but I want to see if there's anything I can do to import the disk into my new system before I go out and buy a bunch of new drives.

Fuganater

Patron
Just copy them over the network to the new TS140. Mounting those drives via USB is somewhat of a task and there are many threads on here about it. Use google search instead of the built in forums search as it does not work.

di0de

Dabbler
Just copy them over the network to the new TS140. Mounting those drives via USB is somewhat of a task and there are many threads on here about it. Use google search instead of the built in forums search as it does not work.
Roger that. I am backing up the drive to a new pool but I don't have a lot of long term faith in it. I need to buy some new drives, any suggestions? I've read the "Complete Guide to Freenas" and Cyberjock's hardware recommendations thread, but there aren't any specific recommendations for drives (probably with good reason, they don't want to endorse a brand). I'm looking for one or two 4TB's.

Fuganater

Patron
I am a fan of WD Reds. I have 2TB and 3TB versions. HGST is another brand highly recommended on the forums.

Do you have any drives for the FreeNAS box yet? 6TB drives go on sale for $229 very frequently. Get 2 of them and do a mirror for secure data.

di0de

Dabbler
I just have a mish-mash of drives from my old setup, 1 x 5TB, 1 x 3TB, & 1x2TB. I started with an old laptop and a 2 TB western digital. Over the years it spiraled out of control, and now I'm trying to reign it back in before catastrophic data loss happens! Those are definitely out of my price point, but at the same time I would probably do it to secure my data. I looked on Amazon, and for the same price there are 8TB Seagate Archive drives, but I don't know if it would be considered a good buy.

Fuganater

Patron
There is a thread talking about the 8TB Archive drives. No one has tested them since I last looked at that thread because no one has the money to throw away if it doesn't work. Personally I would just buy new drives for a new server. Fresh set of drives with a new RMA will last you 3-5 years. Your current ones may already be out of warranty. You also have not matching pairs of drives. I am not sure if you can partition drives in FreeNAS. Pretty sure you can't so you would lose 2TB on your 5TB drive, or 1 TB on your 3TB drive to make a matching set for a mirror. If that is even how it works.

Again, buy 2 new drives and be done with it.

di0de

Dabbler
Again, buy 2 new drives and be done with it.

You right, you right. One last question, is it worth the extra $40 per drive for the 128MB write cache, "pro" version for the 6TB WD red?

Fuganater

Patron
For any home user, no. The regular WD Reds will do fine. (Jedi mind trick right there lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.