Moving disk from USB to SATA -- The volume (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterloron

Cadet
I have a single data disk FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 system. The disk is a SATA disk in an external USB3 enclosure due to lack of space in the computer case. I now have a better case for the computer and am moving the disk from USB to an internal SATA connection. However, when I move the disk connection, FreeNAS no longer finds the volume. I get this error:

The volume library (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN

"library" is the name of the volume. FreeNAS does see the disk, but isn't seeing the ZFS volume? Can any kind soul provide some help in getting the disk moved successfully?

I do have the data on the disk backed up, but would really prefer to not have to recover > 2TB of stuff if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
This could be simple or kinda complex. Your hardware config would be very useful to us...

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Section 6.3.1 of this manual document may be of some help.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Some enclosures do transparent encryption on the drives, meaning you can't just use the drive directly connected with SATA. You'd need to resilver it, if that is the case.

rogerh

Guru
Some enclosures do transparent encryption on the drives, meaning you can't just use the drive directly connected with SATA. You'd need to resilver it, if that is the case.
In the context of a single disk pool, he'd presumably have to mirror it to a second directly connected drive before he could wipe it and restore the mirror (now that he's bought an extra drive!). Or, as he says, restore from backup.

peterloron

Cadet
Thanks for the replies, folks. Here is some data on the system:
  • FreeNAS 9.2.1.9
  • ASRock Q1900DC-ITX (quad core J1900)
  • 8GB RAM
  • Boot volume on 8GB USB stick
  • Storage is currently one WD30EZRX 3TB SATA disk in an external enclosure connected via USB3. The enclosure is "dumb". No fancy features like encryption, etc.
It's a quiet, low power system I use just for serving movies to Kodi, etc. Been working fine for that. I don't have encryption or deduplication on, etc.

I will give the pool import a shot, but I think I tried that already.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The enclosure is "dumb". No fancy features like encryption, etc.
Are you sure? You'd be surprised what some manufacturers do with those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.