Disks plugged into Marvell SATA card not recognized on 12.0

WillysMD

Cadet
Hello,
I have been using FreeNAS since version 10.0 so I'm rather new at it.

I am running a Supermicro X9SCL board with a Xeon E-1270 v2.
I have also a PCIe SATA extension card for two extra SATA ports. The card has a Marvell 88SE9128 chipset.

Code:
ahci0@pci0:1:0:0:    class=0x010601 card=0x91281b4b chip=0x91281b4b rev=0x20 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Marvell Technology Group Ltd.'
    device     = '88SE9128 PCIe SATA 6 Gb/s RAID controller'
    class      = mass storage
    subclass   = SATA

As you can see it is recognized by the system, but since updating to TrueNAS 12.0, devices attached to it are not.
It worked fine on 11.3, but as soon as I booted 12.0 after the upgraded, the drives plugged into the card had gone.

I have checked that the drives are indeed working by plugging them into another SATA port directly on the board.

Looks like something is broken on 12.0 with my particular setup, although I'm open to any suggestion to try to find the issue.

Thank you

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please submit a bug report.

Can you provide the exact Make/Model of the card? If I have one then I might be able to verify your findings.

Last edited:

alexfax

Dabbler
I have the same problem!
@WillysMD
what solution have you found?
did you change the card?
thanks in advance

WillysMD

Cadet
Hi @alexfax,

I haven't found a solution to make the card work, so I ended up going with a cheap IBM SAS HBA with an LSI chip as recommended elsewhere on the forum.
It's been working fine and as a bonus gives me plenty of room to expand my storage!

alexfax

Dabbler
Thank you I did the same thing!
I bought a dell perc H310 (HV52W)
I did the crossflash PERC H310 to IT mode LSI 9211-8i firmware

Everything works perfectly
Transfer from SSD to Truenas 108 ~111 MB/s

PS the system on the first reboot recognized the zfs pool but gave an abnormal status (online "unhealthy")
on the second reboot everything is back to normal