HDD Error

GarryQue

Cadet
I keep getting the following error, I've tested the rives and they seen fine.

CRITICAL​

Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], 65526 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.​

2023-03-01 02:53:28 (America/Los_Angeles)

Not sure what to make of this...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The drive is telling you, in fairly clear language, that there's a bunch of unreadable sectors on your drive. This is typically a sign that the drive is failing and may completely fail soon.

GarryQue

Cadet
The storage pool has no errors, all drives are online and working. I just have this error in alerts. I'm new to true NAS scale. Is it a pending failure?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

danb35

Hall of Famer
The storage pool has no errors
There's really no reason you should expect that the pool status and the individual disk SMART status have anything whatsoever to do with each other.

Further, this question has come up easily 100 times before--a search for something like "unreadable pending sectors" would find you enough information to keep you busy reading for quite some time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, unreadable sectors only show up if someone tries to read them, so there's some nuance here.

In any case, with 64k+ bad sectors, odds are that it's way more than the ones currently listed.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Try running SMART long tests too. They'll fail, at least on sdb.

GarryQue

Cadet
Yes I did a smart long test, and the drive failed as well. Western Digital Red Drive no good. Replaced drive and all good now. Thanks Heaps for the great software...... Love it.

Replaced drive and all good now.
If you don't mind me asking, which drive model # did you replace it with?

The reason I ask is because I get nervous when I read "Western Digital Red", as it could mean outright "Red" or "Red Plus". The former of which could be an SMR drive.

GarryQue

Cadet
The drive says Western Digital Red NAS Hard Disk Drive. That's the one that died. I'm going to get a new set of drives and replace the lot, what would be a good brand to get? More Western Digital Red or another brand..

It has a western digital green short term, till I get a new set.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You have provided a brand name but we asked for a model number. Please provide a model number such as WD40EFZX so that people may check whether your drives are CMR or SMR. It is common to find SMR drives failing with large numbers of errors, but if you don't tell us, we can only guess. The WD Red line of drives includes both CMR and SMR drives.

That's a lot of unreadable sectors unless a head is dangling in the breeze by a wire coming off the arm.

I'd be more suspicious of a cabling issue that was resolved (perhaps only temporarily, time will tell) when the drive was replaced, the reason being that many errors should have thrown alerts all over the U.I. and e-mailed them to the admin like a spammer. I'd slam the suspect drive into the test bench and run badblocks to know more...but then again I'm probably not average...

homework.png

I'd be more suspicious of a cabling issue that was resolved (perhaps only temporarily, time will tell) when the drive was replaced,
I think this is very possible.

GarryQue

Cadet
Thank you everyone for your help, the drive has failed. I checked it with different software under windows 11, it has a lot of bad sectors. I'm going to purchase a new set of drives. Thanks....

I'm going to get a new set of drives and replace the lot
How come? If only one drive failed (which you've replaced), while the others are fine, why would you just outright replace them all?

There's always a chance that one of the new drives will suffer from "infant mortality".