Having Issues with the Stable ISO

kayber76

Cadet
I have downloaded the stable ISO, I have an old I7 I want to turn into a NAS. So I load the ISO to the Rufus and then to my flash drive but every time I do and I try to boot up from the USB stick it just doesn't boot. I've tried 3 USB sticks and the same issue; on two different computers. It refuses to boot up. If I go to explorer and try to see the files on the USB it says "Bad USB" and it wont read it. However; if I got to rufus is see's the USB and lets me overwrite it.

Any ideas?

WN1X

Explorer
What is this i7 you speak of? Hardware specs?

kayber76

Cadet
Intel i7 2600k Sandy bridge with a gigabyte motherboard z68xp. It’s like eight or nine years old.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
More like 10 or 11 years, if it's a 2600K...
It refuses to boot up. If I go to explorer and try to see the files on the USB it says "Bad USB" and it wont read it.
"Bad USB"? That doesn't sound like a typical error message on Windows, but I wouldn't read too much into whatever error you got.
It refuses to boot up.
Can you be more specific?
Intel i7 2600k Sandy bridge
Which means very early PC UEFI implementation, which means lots of bugs. There are a few things you can try:
  1. Disable all CSM stuff and boot in UEFI mode
  2. Enable all CSM stuff and boot in legacy BIOS mode
  3. Disable everything that won't be used (audio, extra USB controllers, ...)
  4. Disable all boot options besides the flash drive
  5. Try multiple options for the type of USB device, when they exist - e.g. USB Hard Drive, USB Flash, USB CD-ROM...

WN1X

Explorer
Have you tried a different USB port?

Regardless of whether you get this to boot, I see that motherboard contains a Realtek RTL8111E NIC. These are dramatically bad to use with TrueNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

kayber76

Cadet
Tried 3 different USB's same thing.
I pick USB device (at boot up on two different machines)
It just doesn't load; it goes right to Windows OS

joeschmuck

Old Man
Odds are very good its the BIOS setup to boot UEFI or Legacy.

There is a reason I like to burn an ISO to CD/DVD, booting almost always works perfectly.