Hardware compatibility with SCALE

cpu2k6

Dabbler
Hello everyone.

I hope this is the right sub-forum to ask this question, otherwise please move it.

As SCALE is progressing in its development, I'm planing a new machine for it.

Before I order the hardware for it, i'd like to check if everything is supported by TrueNAS SCALE an there are no compatibility issues.

I'm planing to get parts as follows:

Mainboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro

CPU (already on hand)
Intel Core i9-9900K

Storage Controller Card
Supermicro LSI SAS 3008 IT/HBA MODE 12GB/

Ethernet Card
Sonnet G10E-1X-E3

RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX, 2x 16GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288

Boot Device
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, M.2 2280

Cache Device
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1000GB, M.2 2280

HDDs (10x, already on hand)
WD Red Plus 10TB, 3.5", CMR (WD101EFAX)

I'd appreciate if someone could tell me, if this setup is ok for SCALE.
If there is anything I need to change, pleas let me know.

And, depending on your location: HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Thank you.

cpu

ornias

Wizard

Z390 is fine

CPU (already on hand)
Intel Core i9-9900K
Intel 9th gen is fine

Not 100% sure, but kernel 5.10 should support it afaik.

Not familiar with this brand.

As long as the mobo accepts/supports it it should be fine

overkill, use some mobo sata and use this for something that actually uses the m.2 speed potential

- Max ram before adding L2ARC.
- Don't add too much L2ARC
- A single optane drive, would be totally viable for both SLOG AND L2ARC
(and the optane would actually be faster and more suited for the workloads, but again: RAM FIRST)

HDDs (10x, already on hand)
WD Red Plus 10TB, 3.5", CMR (WD101EFAX)
As long as it's CMR it's okey.

cpu2k6

Dabbler
Thank you, ornias.

I forgot to mention, it is going mainly to be a NAS/Media Server, I'll run couple of dockers and occasionally a VM

Ok, I have some small SATA SSDs laying around, I'll use one of those as the boot device. Any suggestions about applications for the now free M.2 slot?

The max RAM on this MB is 64GB. I'll add a second RAM Set (4x16). If I understood you correctly, I could then ditch the M.2 cache drive?

About the optane drive, you'r talking about the PCI Express ones, not the M.2 ones, right? Because these are a bit expensive for me. Please advise what size i should get.

The Ethernet Card uses an Aquantia AQC-107S Chip. Is there a place where i could check myself, if its going to work with SCALE?

Thanks again.

cpu

ornias

Wizard
I forgot to mention, it is going mainly to be a NAS/Media Server, I'll run couple of dockers and occasionally a VM
Look, if you got an intel pentium you would already be fine... so i'll ignore it and just give feedback to create a balanced build ;-)

Ok, I have some small SATA SSDs laying around, I'll use one of those as the boot device.
I'm doing the same, old sata ssd's that are still good would be more than fine as a mirrored systemdisk

The max RAM on this MB is 64GB. I'll add a second RAM Set (4x16).
Indeed, thats way more worth it than going L2ARC at this stage (and not that expensive too)

If I understood you correctly, I could then ditch the M.2 cache drive?
Well, with your load you technically don't need them anyway.
The thing is: L2ARC costs a little bit of ARC per GB.
So you don't want too much and only after you maxed your ram.

About the optane drive, you'r talking about the PCI Express ones, not the M.2 ones, right? Because these are a bit expensive for me. Please advise what size i should get.
Nope, I was refering to the M.2 slots that just got freed:
If the 900p variants are too expensive, there is also the:
Intel Optane 800P M.2 58GB

Any suggestions about applications for the now free M.2 slot?
Dedicated SLOG, or striped/mirrored L2ARC+SLOG with the first slot.

Or keep both empty for now. It doesn't hurt.

The Ethernet Card uses an Aquantia AQC-107S Chip. Is there a place where i could check myself, if its going to work with SCALE?
It's not my specialty so i'll skip on giving advice for now ;-)

cpu2k6

Dabbler
Ok, thank you ornias, your help is much appreciated!

Well, the m.2 Otane 800p is not that expensive, I'll get one. With the two ssds gone, it's well within my budget. But I should get a cooler for the optane, it looks like they get a bit hot.

I'll try the Ethernet card anyways, if it doesn't work I'll use the onboard one. Was for the transfer from the old NAS anyway....

Have a great 2021, stay safe and healthy.

cpu

blanchet

Guru
TrueNAS SCALE is based on Linux instead of FreeBSD so the hardware compatibility is better.
Nevertheless, if I were you I will pick an Intel NIC instead of an Aquantia because if you wish to use another operating system later (VMware ESXi, FreeBSD, etc.), the Intel NIC will be supported.

ornias

Wizard
Ok, thank you ornias, your help is much appreciated!

Well, the m.2 Otane 800p is not that expensive, I'll get one. With the two ssds gone, it's well within my budget. But I should get a cooler for the optane, it looks like they get a bit hot.

I'll try the Ethernet card anyways, if it doesn't work I'll use the onboard one. Was for the transfer from the old NAS anyway....

Have a great 2021, stay safe and healthy.

cpu
Well, to be clear.
I don't think you NEED an optane, but if you go cache, you might as wel use one as a SLOG/L2ARC combo disk.

inman.turbo

Contributor
I would go with an intel nic card. Offbrand nics, even Broadcom (!) can give you trouble sometimes on Debian. I would also recommend ECC ram and a mobo to support it but hey, home build I guess it will work though sometimes you can get weird errors (not often) you had know idea were cause by memory. Anyway idk if the truenas build includes the Debian +non-free drivers but either way you are much better with off with intel nic.