Building home NAS server

usma

Cadet
This is my first post here as I found this forum is useful,
I am going to build my home NAS server and I wanted to know if I picked the good components which are the follwoing...
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI LGA 1151 DDR4 mITX Motherboard
Thermaltake Litepower 650W 80 Plus PSU
Fractal Design Node 304 White
WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black
StarTech.com 1 Port PCIe Network Card - Dual Profile - Gigabit Ethernet Card
regarding CPU I do prefer 3.7 9600k
Intel Core i5 9600K 3.7 GHz Processor
Intel Core i5 9400 2.9GHz Socket 1151 Processor
would you mind please to tell me whether these are all right to build my home NAS server

Hi @usma - Take a look at The Official FreeNAS Hardware Guide. Remember, you are building a network attached storage server, not a gaming rig. FreeNAS/TrueNAS is based on FreeBSD and does not have the wide range of supported network adapters (e.g., Intel good, Realtek bad; LSI host bus adapters flashed to IT mode good, etc.). FreeNAS/TrueNAS also wants direct access to the drives, so no RAID adapters - ZFS will take care of that for you. Whist there can be much debate over ECC RAM, if you store any files that are really important you'll probably want ECC.

Oh, and make sure you stay away from Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) drives (e.g., the newer WD Reds) and stick with Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR) drives (e.g., WD Red Plus or Pro). SMR + ZFS is not a good day.

Take a good look at the forum posts - you'll see what works and what doesn't. Nothing stops you from using a configuration that isn't supported, BUT help from the forums likely won't be all the sympathetic to your problems.

You might also want to take a look at a used motherboard (e.g., Supermicro X9/X10) and and and i3 (which supports ECC RAM) or Xeon on eBay.

Good luck in your build!

usma

Cadet
Thanks so much for replying me, I'll have a look at links you provided
I wanted to install WIN 10 pro and Hyber-V and then ganna install some other OS, I also wanted to install Qnap firmware so I can manage my HDD properly.
In this case, what is best for me please to go with.

Thanks

ThreeDee

Guru
Realtek nics don't generally work the best in TrueNAS .. ECC RAM is recommended .. WiFi and sound are not used in TrueNAS .. whatever you decide on to use for a boot drive, TrueNAS will use the whole drive regardless of size of which 64gb is plenty big.

to answer your initial question ... No, not really

Take a good run through the forum Will it FreeNAS? - FreeNAS Build Discussion. You will see what works and what does not work. As I noted before, you are building a server not a gaming rig - the specs are different. I suspect that 99% of all FreeNAS/TrueNAS users have there NAS running 24x7. Gaming rigs are not designed for that.
You'll often see references to buying an older server (e.g., Supermicro); however, you need to keep in mind that these are enterprise-class servers so fan noise will likely be an issue (I put up with it in my home office, for others it will be a problem).
Another option is to take a look at your build cost and take a look at iXsystem's TrueNAS Mini series. They'll likely be more expensive but they do have warranty and iXsystems has designed them for TrueNAS...