TrueNas Scale build - Hardware validation/advice

lisa

Cadet
Hi all,

As part of the consolidation and simplification of my home lab, I'm planning on building a new NAS. I've never build my own server grade nas, but having spent the last few days browsing this forum, the docs, internet and learning a lot, I'm ready to pull the trigger.

A bit of context:

Up until now I've painfully managed my backups with a small and old synology, and a few usb external drives.
Besides the backup appliances, I have several machines that are noisy, energy guzzling, and for some very very old (it goes from an old Compaq Deskpro EN to a Poweredge r730, and includes a few old desktops and mini pcs). For noise and energy consumption reasons I can't afford to keep them all running 24/7. Which is really annoying and limiting.
I use my lab as a dev and devops playground (k8s, ci/cd solutions...), and host various dev and prod environments (some of them exposed outside my LAN).
For homelab 2.0, I'd like to centralise my medias, my files, my repos, most of my DBs, have a permanently up k8s cluster with all the cool toys, finally add some home automation, centralised vpn'd torrenting, etc... A few names to give you an idea of the processing requirements (considering very low trafick/use most of the time): nextcloud, jellyfin, home assistant, pi-hole, opnsense, multi node k8s cluster, gitlab, mariadb/galera cluster, elk cluster, prometheus, redis, erts, node...
I don't plan on having everything running on the nas server, but the more I can fit on it the better (while still respecting a modicum of separation of concerns and good practices). What won't go onto the NAS server will go onto modern NUCs.
I'd like to build something that will be relevant for the next 5 years at least. 8 years would be great.

The build I've come up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1275 V6 3.8 GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($393.57 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer i13 X CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($250.00)
Memory: Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($48.50 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($48.50 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($120.08 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($120.08 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.01 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.01 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red Plus 10 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red Plus 10 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2149.49

A few remarks:

I'm based in the EU. That influences price and availability vs the US.

CPU: I've seen a used one in my area for 100€. if I can't get it I'll probably go for an Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 @ 3.50GHz but I'm not dead set on it. I'd just like to keep it budget friendly. Also PcPartPicker list says the 1275v6 is not compatible but from what I've read elsewhere it should be no? (the spec for the x11ssm-f)
Storage: Storage structure is a topic in itselff and I'll probably create a post dedicated to it. but here is the jist of it:
- Boot drive: the evo 870
- Slow: raidz2 vdev : the 5 * 3.5" DW red plus
- Fast: mirrored vdev: the 2 * 870 evo
- Ultra fast: mirrored vdev: the 2 nvme 970 using a pci-e to nvme adapter not listed here.
The fast and ultra fast vdevs will be setup a few months down the line when budget and good deals allow

A few questions:

Motherboard and case: I like all the pcie connectors on this one, it's been recommended multiple time here and it fits in a cheap Node 804. It's a bit limited in term of memory and CPU generation though. And the more I think about it the more I'm wondering if I should find a 3u or 4u with a better airflow and access, and upgrade to an ATX form factor (would the X11SSA-F be considered the equivalent or better than the X11SSM-F?). Is it worth it? A rack case would be easier and cleaner once I decide to setup a small medium depth server bay to host everything (I'm planning on selling the 70cm/26" deep poweredge that sits under my desk so no needs/wants for a deep form factor) Do you have any budget friendly recommendations for a quiet, 8+ hot swapable bays, rack chassis with good airflow (where I could replace the stock fans with 120mm silent ones if needed)? And high enough so I can add a low-medium profile graphic card to passthrouh to the vms and maybe do some transcoding later.
Or is there, in 2023, a better mobo/cpu combination for a similar or lower total cost of ownership (purchase + parts replacement + energy bill)?

CPU cooler and PSU: I've selected those ones as I've seen them recommended in several places but I'm definitely open to suggestions within the same budget bracket.

Do you see any issue with this build? Incompatibilities? Issues that I will face down the line (hardware or software with truenas)?

Thanks in advance

lisa

Cadet
Well it was worth asking :D And considering the amount of similar post, I understand how always answering to this type of post can get boring.

Kean

Dabbler
Few cents from my side
1. The Motherboard has 1GbE. Dont you consider 10GbE, having SSDs?
2. CPU: I'm not sure how this CPU will drain the power. Do you need it? It's bit expensive.

lisa

Cadet
Few cents from my side
1. The Motherboard has 1GbE. Dont you consider 10GbE, having SSDs?
2. CPU: I'm not sure how this CPU will drain the power. Do you need it? It's bit expensive.
Thanks for your feedback
I was planning on adding a 10GbE card later, when I upgrade my switch to 10GbE
I found this CPU locally for less than a 100. If this deal doesn't work out I'll go for a cheaper one