TrueNAS Scale - Hardware List In-Progress

cerkoryn

Cadet
Finally got a large basement closet converted into a server room with a big 42U rack complete with mini-split for HVAC. First equipment I want to get is a TrueNAS Scale storage solution. I've narrowed down most of the parts-list already:
  • Mobo - Supermicro X11SCA-F
  • CPU - Intel Xeon E-2244G (need the G for Intel Quick-Sync video transcoding. Skipping GPU)
  • Cooler - Supermicro Fan SNK-P0051AP4
  • RAM - Micron 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 CL19 (x4)
  • Boot - Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5 (x2, mirrored)
  • PSU - Seasonic FOCUS GX-550
  • Network - Might later buy an Intel X550-T2, but not important right now
The boot SSDs are probably overkill but only $30 brand new so why not. I might eventually try to do some fancy GPU passthrough stuff later if I really want fast transcoding (GPU farm planned eventually)

The parts I'm conflicted mostly boil down to if I want to also use SSDs for data storage:
  • Case - Rosewill RSV-R4000U or Rosewill ‎RSV-L4412U (Latter is twice the cost but 4 more drives and hot-swappable. Bays also look like they support 2.5" SSDs, the former don't look like it)
  • SSD - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB (x8-x12, ~$20 each currently on eBay)
  • HDD - Western Digital 2TB WD Red Plus (~$15 each currently on eBay)
  • HBA - SAS 9300-8i or SAS 9305-16i (will need the latter if I get 12 bays, but currently running for $324 on Amazon and the eBay deals seem a bit sketchy IMO)

I also plan to use RaidZ2 and switch out the stock case fans for Noctua ones eventually. As for use cases, I have a home business and a crypto project where I basically get paid to rent out my storage space for people to store sharded, encrypted data. Also plan to make at least one more vDev for home SMB shares and Jellyfin/Plex videos.

Ultimately I'm trying to decide if going all-in on SSDs will be worth the tradeoff. Slightly less storage per $, but power efficiency, noise, and performance would all get a boost. Leaning toward the SSDs and the nicer case/HBA, but wanted to get some second opinions first since I've never actually experimented with TrueNAS before.

Any thoughts?