Hard Drives issue on TrueNAS 12

Good morning,
I am new to FreeBSD and need some guidance. I have a system where TrueNAS 12 is virtualized on a proxmox server. My SAS backplane exposes all 10 sas drives to both of my sas controllers, so when I pass one of the controllers to TrueNAS it sees all of the drives. Problem is that 3 of the 10 drives are used for a proxmox ZFS pool, which the TrueNAS vm drive lives on. When FreeBSD boots and probes these three drives it causes read/write errors that force the pool offline. So, question is, how do force TrueNAS to probe only the 7 drives used for my TrueNAS ZFS pool and leave the other three drives alone?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would suspect that you cannot pass through the entire controller and will be forced to pass through individual physical disks to the VM. Here is a URL that may help you out. I don't use Proxmox but use ESXi, which is similar.

Thank you. I completely forgot about disk pass-through, and have never really found a reason to use it until now.
Off subject a little. I have tested ESXi on my dl360p G8's. Like but would prefer to integrate them together like proxmox nodes. Still haven't figure that out. Also, the new ESXi versions don't always play well with older G8's, and the HP agentless management system doesnt install on the newer versions of ESXi.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Be aware that you're playing with fire if you're passing disks in rather than entire controllers.

Be prepared to lose your pools at some point.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Be aware that you're playing with fire if you're passing disks in rather than entire controllers.

While some have had this experience, I have never. I really think it comes down to proper discipline. I would prefer to pass the entire controller but I have had situations where that was not the best course of action for the hardware being used.

Also, the new ESXi versions don't always play well with older G8's, and the HP agentless management system doesnt install on the newer versions of ESXi.
That is unfortunate. I have been lucky so far and have been using ESXi for quite a while now. I have not tried Proxmox even though I have intentions to eventually give it a try. for the time being ESXi allows me to run my FreeNAS/TrueNAS server without errors and I run a few other VM's to test software on. Nothing really fancy.

While some have had this experience, I have never. I really think it comes down to proper discipline. I would prefer to pass the entire controller but I have had situations where that was not the best course of action for the hardware being used.

I will take all into consideration. From what I have read, the issue is the OS tied to the controller writing data on the passed drives. Will have to think this through before I actually deploying in home lab.

That is unfortunate. I have been lucky so far and have been using ESXi for quite a while now. I have not tried Proxmox even though I have intentions to eventually give it a try. for the time being ESXi allows me to run my FreeNAS/TrueNAS server without errors and I run a few other VM's to test software on. Nothing really fancy.

I like them both. I especially like ESXi because these HP Proliant servers I have were basically made to run it. Proxmox on the otherhand has some cool features like CEPH and ZFS pools which I cannot get with ESXi.

Thanks you both for the comments.
Cheers,
Mike