Hard drive Failure? Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie200112

Contributor
Ya I apologize, I'm following that now. But I am a bit confused I shut down the server though to replace the drive right? Doesn't have to be hot-swapped but can be if my hardware supports it correct?

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

eddie200112

Contributor
So when I click replace, after rebooting with the new drive installed I get the drop down menu with one option ada4 when I select it and select replace it tells me "Disk is not clear, partitions or ZFS labels were found"

Do I tell it to force the replace or is this picking up one of my other drives?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What did this new drive have on it before you put it in your freenas system? Does the gui show you the new serial number?

eddie200112

Contributor
It came from Seagate as a refurbed drive, I assume had nothing. Yes the Gui shows me the correct serial #. I went ahead and had it force the resilver. so we will see. At 65% now..

danb35

Hall of Famer

joeschmuck

Old Man
"Disk is not clear, partitions or ZFS labels were found"
That is to me a concern that something is wrong and you may be messing up. A new or refurb drive that has never been used should not indicate that there was a ZFS partition on it. Ensure you track your drives by the serial numbers on the labels.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I just replaced a drive in my pool the other day. I'm expanding my pool by re-silvering in larger capacity drives.
AFAIK when you replace a drive that currently is "online" and healthy, you must choose the "force" option
when doing it this way. Once the re-silver is complete, FreeNAS will off-line the replaced drive. At that point all you
need do is shutdown the machine and pull that drive, then reboot. PLEASE NOTE: Your drive labels will change once again!

eddie200112

Contributor
OK well I forced it and all seems well so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.