Hard Drive failure and adding to ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirdragon

Dabbler
I had a single hard drive that freenas reported as faulting

The volume Music-Pictures (ZFS) state is ONLINE: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures

This was actually misleading as all the drives I was using were actually showing as healthy and the drive that was reporting this IO failure hadn't even been imported for use with freenas. It was just there ready if I needed to increase storage. On a reboot it also preventing freenas from starting until I pulled it from the system.

But this has got me thinking about increasing the number of drives that are in my ZFS Pool (only got 2 x 3TB drives in it at the moment). Could I easily add another drive and would freenas start striping across them or would I need to start from scratch and redo the pool.

thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your questions suggest that you haven't looked at cyberjock's powerpoint on ZFS basics. Read it thoroughly if you value your data.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Oh yes, you need to read the manual and the infamous powerpoint. This is yet another one of those questions easily answer by doing just the basic reading about what FreeNAS is and how to set it up properly. If I were a betting man, you probably don't have ECC RAM either.

Status
Not open for further replies.